Bab 3 : A Power to Change (April 6, 781)

Start from the beginning

"...really?" Although he hadn't been to his study for eight years, Cale could remember spending long months struggling and studying through countless books in preparation to become the family successor... It was really a pity that such an ability was now in his hands rather than Basen or some scholar or person who could really need it or put the ability to good use.

"Really." Glutton continued, proudly defending her friend. "Record is really resourceful and smart. Besides magic, there's almost nothing he doesn't know and sometimes he can even see the future. Record is the best ancient power!"

Record groaned at the glutton's exaggerations "Glutton, you-" while Cale blanked, a small, mostly forgotten memory of his mother rising. (His mother had also-)

"Really? You can see the future?"

Both ancient powers paused in the midst of their starting argument at his small voice. After a long while, Record answered.

"...rarely. Only rarely." A quiet, cautious answer, warning that he might not be able to tell Cale

what he wanted to know, but it didn't matter. Cale didn't care so much about the future than he did for the small nostalgia that was filling him. (His mother had once sat him down and said something - what did she say?)

"Can you tell me? The future?"

"...It depends. If you tell me what you want to know, I can try."

Cale sat up from where he had been lounging on his bed, pondering. There wasn't much he was dying to know about the future.

Rather, everything seemed to have been settled already.

His father had finally given up on him. His brother and butler and probably everyone who knew him too. Cale smiled wryly. They were all likely to become happy, now released from the chains of having to care for trash like him.

There wasn't anything he couldn't already figure out.

(There was a new face in the city that Cale was sure that he had both never seen before and also couldn't fully read.)

"..."

Except that guy.

In the end, whatever did happen to that guy?