Chapter 1 - A Transfer

My Life at Hogwarts

The name’s Lissa. Lissa Douglas, to be exact. It’s my first year at Hogwarts, I can’t wait! I’m 13, but a transfer student. My former school was Beauxbatons Academy of Magic, an all girls school.

It was nearly September, and here I was pushing my trolley towards the entrance to a special platform. The barrier that separates the muggle world and the wizard world is located in between platforms 9 and 10. Platform 9 ¾ is where we need to go. Mum and my 3 brothers hurried along as well. Nick, the oldest of the kids, and my younger twin brothers, Kevin and Daniel. They were inseparable. My family is, like people like to call them, pure bloods. Some even consider us blood traitors but, it’s worth it. Muggle borns and half bloods are just as good and pure bloods. After Nick ran through the stone wall, I gulped. This, I thought, was a strange way to get into the wizarding world.

“Lissa, you next.” Mum’s voice rung through my ears and I nodded. I knew what to do, of course, but it isn’t as easy as it seems. Running through a brick wall takes some confidence.

“See you on the other side,” And with that, I charged through the brick wall. My eyes were shut tightly and before I knew it; I was standing in front of the Hogwarts Express. It was a beautiful sight. Hundreds of new and returning students were boarding and others saying goodbye to their families. Kevin nearly ran into me from behind. It shook me from my thoughts – I was too busy admiring the train to realize I was standing in front of the entrance. Mom gave us all a tight hug and kiss on the cheek, giving Danny an extra one. Nick ignored me when I asked for help loading my luggage onto the train. I rolled my eyes. How kind of him. After packing out trunks into an empty compartment, me and the twins rushed back to wave. The train started moving, and I could have sworn there were tears in my mother’s eyes. It was the twin’s first time away from home and being the youngest ones, my mother babied them. But who could blame her?

“Bye Mom!” The twins chorused.

“We love you!” I shouted.

“See you in December!” Nick called.

We all waved frantically. Boy, I was going to miss her. Her cooking, her crazy self. I was even going to miss the way she tucked me in at night. But we won’t be apart for long. I had to drag the twins back to our compartment when the train rounded a corner, and Nick disappeared up the isle. Going to sit with his girlfriend Becca, I expect. The two were obsessed with each other. Not five minutes after I sat down on a seat in my compartment did Kevin start to complain.

“I’m bored.” said Kevin.

I stared at him blankly, my hands were unzipping the cat carrier that held our cat, Dusty.

“How can you be bored already?” I questioned him. Come on, really, we were on a train on our way to a magical school he had been waiting all his life to attend, and this is what he has to say?

“Because there’s nothing to do,”

“Read a book, then. Do something.”

“But I don’t feel like it.”

Then entertain yourself!

He groaned at my words, turning to took out the window. Gosh, that kid got on my nerves sometimes. Our shared cat, Dusty walked around for a bit before settling down right in Kevin’s lap.

“I’m gonna take a look around,” Danny stated, getting up and brushing cat fur off of his jeans.

“Be back soon,” I didn’t look up from my book when I mumbled the response.

To be honest, I don’t know how long I slept for. Truth is, I was beat. I stayed awake most of the night packing and making sure I had all my stuff. I had to help Nick, too, since he was such a lazy bum and Mum refused to do it. Sometimes he makes me want to strangle him. Fortunately for me, I can get away with punching him. If I did that to Kevin or Daniel, I’d be grounded for a week. What tattletales.