Part 1: Forsaken: 1-4

I loved the language and tone of book #1, and this is no different. The first paragraph of the book drew me right in. The description, the setting, the language. I could also tell Retvenko was from Ravka before he revealed it based on the pattern of names. I enjoyed that this character was from Councilman Hoede's house, from the beginning of the first book. A nice little connection.

The at small world details are thrown in casually is beautifully done. In chapter 2 Wylan mentions how Kaz told none of the gambling halls had windows so players wouldn't track time with natural light. That is an incredibly small detail that doesn't really matter but adds to the realism of the story.

The pigeon metaphor is mentioned again, another nice connection to a small detail in the first book.

There's a lot of talk in chapter 3, talk of plans and events. I feel the emotion from the crew after learning the death of their friend. And the tension from bunking in close quarters in a tomb.

I was a little surprised to see a chapter from Inej before her liberation. I was thinking we wouldn't see her perspective again until she was freed from Van Eck. The suspense and emotion and desperation in this chapter is palpable. Already, I'm in deep with this story.