》CHAPTER EIGHT, of salt and stone

chapter eight !

of salt and stone

ALAYNE, 127 AC

Alayne desperately wanted to scream. She wanted to throw something, to smash it to pieces, to beat at it until it reflected how she felt. But she couldn't. Not when her sisters were watching her, holding on to her, never letting her go. No, she had to stay strong, she couldn't break in front of them.

Daemon led the procession onto the rocky shore, Alayne following closely behind with Baela and Rhaena each clinging to an arm. Behind them were Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys, then the king and his family, and finally, Rhaenyra and Laenor with their sons. Alayne had to admit that she was disappointed that they hadn't brought baby Joffrey with them, though she understood why. However, seeing such an innocent babe without the knowledge or comprehension of what his family was going through would've lightened Alayne's heart and distracted her for a while.

Rhaenys paused beside her, a black veil covering her face. Baela stopped in front of them, clutching Alayne's hand but resting her head on their grandmother's shoulder. Rhaena was on Alayne's other side, holding onto her older sister as if it were life itself.