The Way I Loved You

"I feel so numb," Lizzie whispered into the emptiness of our half-decorated lounge, a mug of tea in her small hands.

I nodded in agreement, my eyes not faltering from her body language as her eyes hung heavy.

"I don't think I have an uplifting comedic line right now," I admitted, drawing a small laugh from my girlfriend, "I didn't even say anything funny."

She laughed out her nose and smiled over at me sadly, "we're gonna be okay, aren't we?"

"We are," I nodded, "we're going to have our family, it might just take a little bit longer than we thought it would but that only makes our baby more special, right?"

"Yeah," she agreed, "I wouldn't want to go through this with anyone but you Y/N."

"We'll get through it together, whatever we decide to do," I replied softly with a small smile.

"And not one of the options was a 0%," she agreed, a few more tears falling down her cheeks.

"Exactly," I mumbled, "we're Lizzie and Y/N/N, nothing's impossible."

This made her laugh again, wiping the new tears that had fallen, "you never fail to make me smile."

"That's what I do best," I smiled sadly, "why don't we watch some comfort movies, and we'll talk about this again tomorrow when we've had some sleep and time to think about it?"

"Okay," she whispered, putting her tea down and moving so she was lying beside me, her head on my shoulder and her arm around my body.

"I love you so much Elizabeth," I mumbled.

"I love you more," she smiled softly, "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You'll never need to know," I whispered, hugging her tightly.

"I knew there was going to be something wrong with my body, I just had a gut feeling and I was right," she mumbled.

I nodded slowly, "would you consider adoption?"

"As a last resort, yes," she replied, "I just- I really want to carry a child."

"I know," I sighed, kissing the top of her head, "you will."

She hummed an unsure answer and began to sniffle in my hold.

"It's okay," I frowned, exhaling shakily, "what can I do?"

"There's nothing you can do," she cried softly, "just hold me."

"Okay," I sighed, running my fingers through her hair, "it might not help but, would you like me to call Ashley?"

"Yeah," she exhaled quickly afterwards, nodding against my chest.

"Okay," I repeated, dialling her number and kissing Lizzie's head repeatedly.

"Y/N!" Ash beamed down the line, "what can I help you with?"

"Are you busy?" I asked her.

"No, Chester's just gone down for a nap, are you all right?" she pushed.

"Um- can you come over? Is Louis home?" I replied.

"Yeah, of course, is Lizzie with you? Did something happen?"

"Yeah," I whispered, "just- we'll explain when you get here."

"Okay, I'll be about twenty minutes?" she asked.

"Thank you," I mumbled, Lizzie still sniffling in my arms as Ashley hung up the call, "your sister is on her way."

Lizzie nodded and hugged my body tightly, "I feel so low, I haven't felt this bad in ages."