5. Fear the Wolf

Magsimula sa umpisa

It was something Seraphina hadn't considered. After their encounter with a bloodthirsty wolf walker, she assumed another one roamed their town. Perhaps it actually was a zombie, but wouldn't they have encountered it staggering through the streets? Where would it have gone?

A potent gust of magic permeated the air as she crept closer to the gate and noticed prominent members of the Supernatural Council approaching the Rosewood residence. Amid them, she spotted her father, Orick Mandrake. He'd surely be curious why she was visiting them so late in the night.

"Seraphina." Father greeted her with a curt nod. "Tell me what happened."

"Silas and I just arrived back here from a drive into Caverott," Seraphina explained, not bothering to lie about that much. "When we came back, Silas noticed his gate open and footprints leading out into the road." She showed him and the investigators the prints near the gate. "Then we found the body back there."

Collective gasps and prayers echoed over the blustering winds. They hadn't found such a gruesome discovery since their Harvest Fest from Hell. Seraphina could only imagine the horrors spiraling through their minds.

"We'll need to inspect both of your wands. Just as a protocol." Father turned his attention to Silas and his father.

"You can have mine as well," Seraphina offered.

Father waved a dismissive hand. "Nonsense. Keep that with you. If there's a murderer lurking around, you need it. I know you're not responsible for this, dear."

Seraphina blanched as she cast an uneasy look back at the Rosewoods. She couldn't believe he'd say such a thing aloud. Biting back her tongue, she only nodded and stuffed her wand back in her robe's pocket.

"Don't worry," she assured them. "I'll make sure you get them back soon."

Silas handed his wand over first. Mr. Rosewood muttered how ridiculous it was before relinquishing his over to her.

"Thank you for your cooperation," Father said, then took the wands from her hand. "Be a doll, Sera, and help us with the body."

Seraphina grit her teeth. "Of course, father."

Snow flurries alighted in her pink curls and rosy cheeks as she helped the investigators prepare a body bag. Once they got the victim down to the morgue, their expert could properly identify them and inform their family. If they lived in the country, of course.

Seraphina examined the bite wounds closely before they zipped the white bag up, wondering what kind of creature inflicted them. It could be a zombie, but they also resembled a similar pattern as the wound on Silas's chest. Another wolf walker was dangerous. The public needed to be informed if that were the case, but she couldn't do that without putting Silas in danger.

Instead, she hoped the autopsy reports would shed some light on everything. If a wolf walker did kill their victim, then the Supernatural Council would be on the hunt. She just hoped nothing came back around to Silas. If they learned of his turning, she couldn't imagine the hell that would unleash from her family when they found out she knew all along.

Death lingered in the air. Seraphina watched as they transported the body to their ambulance parked down by the mailbox, and a chilling thought crossed her mind as she wondered if their killer watched from afar. Although the investigators suspected a rogue zombie, she thought another wolf walker hid amongst the shadows. Perhaps it wanted her blood as well.

She just couldn't wrap her mind around why they'd leave the body in the Rosewoods' backyard. Not unless someone wanted to frame Silas.

Wisps of her pink curls danced in the wind as she gazed back at Silas and his father on their porch. Unease crept into her mind. Someone knew where Silas lived and had left that body in their backyard with hopes of framing them. She suspected whoever had done it wasn't aware that Silas had left town.