8|a lone victor

Magsimula sa umpisa

She could have sworn she saw Opal smile. "Goodbye, Pearl."

Pearl's heart stung. "Goodbye, Opal."

There was no response. There was just silence. Opal's eyes went blank. "Opal. Opal?"

Pearl knew that she was gone, but she couldn't accept it. She let out a horrible cry as her tears began to come down harder. Opal didn't deserve any of this.

The cannon boomed.

She turned around to face the Career that was responsible for Opal's death. Dane didn't feel any remorse. He stood prideful at the top of the mountain, a satisfied smirk on his face.

"Serves you right for killing Hunter," Dane's deep voice scoffed.

Bree now stood beside him, looking Pearl up and down. She stood on the lower ground, Opal's dead body beside her. Pearl knew that Hunter's death was inevitable. He tried to kill her, and Pearl wasn't going to let that happen.

A blonde haired boy came into view, and Pearl's heart dropped. "Apollo?"

Apollo's blue eyes widened when he saw Pearl. Hurt brewed inside him as he looked at the girl standing below him.

There was an intense staring competition between them. Apollo snapped out of his trance as Pearl just glared at him momentarily.

"Why'd you betray us, District Four?" Apollo asked a bit quieter than usual.

Apollo genuinely sounded sad, but he was trying to mask it with confidence. Pearl felt sick. Apollo really wasn't heartless, and she knew that deep down from the beginning.

"She was never one of us, Apollo. God, get over the stupid girl!" Bree said in a fit.

Apollo glared at Bree and then at Pearl again. She carefully planned her escape. "Apollo, watch out!" Pearl yelled.

All three Careers immediately turned around and Pearl ran for her life. She sped through the layers of snow and knew that they weren't going to be distracted for long. However, they were already way above her anyways.

"Don't let her get away!" she heard Dane's voice shout.

Pearl was fast, but she knew how fast Apollo was. He would be able to catch up to her easily, but Pearl just prayed that he would spare her life.

As she was running, she spotted another boy in the distance. It was Ruth, the boy from District 9. Pearl wondered why he wasn't coming after her, but she quickly found him frozen in place.

Pearl slowly approached Ruth, to see a layer of ice surrounding his body. The arena was growing so cold, and he seemed to be freezing to death in his little layers of clothes.

She looked at the District 9 boy in empathy. She reached out for his hand and looked into his eyes that were slowly beginning to stop moving.

Pearl had found Ruth in his final moments. "I'm so sorry," she whispered.

Suddenly, the frozen body that was Ruth fell over before Pearl's eyes. The cannon boomed. Poor boy.

4 tributes remain. It was just Pearl and three members of the Career pack. Pearl took deep breaths, planning out her next move in the games. She had just left Opal's body there, and she felt horrible.

If Apollo was to die, Pearl hoped someone else would kill him. She would never be able to do it even if she needed to.

She heard the Career pack progressing towards her, and Pearl braced herself with her trident. Her eyes locked with Apollo's. Before they could move any closer, there were loud squeaking sounds.