4

~*~

People say that if you tamper with time, it could alter the balance of the world.
When I made a deal with the moon goddess, I never knew she would send me back ten years into the past. The only joy I get from all of it is the fact that my mother and my brother are still alive. Even if I can't change my fate of being murdered gruesomely in the future, I will do whatever it takes to keep Hugo and my mom alive still.
Maybe my memory is a bit hazy, but I do not remember Hannah's father announcing the shaman. So far, that has been the major difference from my past life. Does that change the trajectory of things? I wonder.

Before Duke Simmons finished speaking, the shaman walked in; He had long black hair and a beard with patches of grey here and there. He wore a long white robe and held a stick in his left hand. Around his neck and wrists were charms, amulets, and talismans. His lips moved continuously as he hummed muffled incantations. His presence filled the atmosphere with so much tension and uncertainty—and a whole lot of fear.

He bowed before the king and spoke in a croaky voice. "My lord, long may you reign! But I must warn you, that there is someone in this room who will be the cause of your downfall!"

Murmurs arose from the guests, but they were silenced by the King with a raise of his hand. He then returned his attention to the shaman: "Who is this person?!" He asked with authority.

The shaman mumbled some foreign words before replying to the King. "The spirits do not say."

King Sinclair raised his hand again, this time, shunning the shaman. "I do not want to hear any more of your poppycock! You are nothing but a small fortune teller; you read a few palms and make a few guesses. If you have nothing more meaningful to say, then get out!"

The shaman appeared to have felt insulted because his mumbling intensified, but he was wise enough to not challenge the King. He bowed his head and spoke in a controlled voice: "My King, I speak the truth. The spirits do not lie."

King Sinclair nodded. "Alright, then prove yourself." He pointed at his guests.  "Who among you here will volunteer himself to allow the shaman to reveal your innermost secret?!"

Out of the entire crowd of people, one man stood up. Yes, one man was bold enough to have his secrets revealed by the shaman. That man is My Father. He pushed out of his seat and stood before King Sinclair and the shaman. "Your majesty, I have nothing to hide, you can search my heart and soul, and all you will find is the love I have for this great kingdom."

My father continued:  "However, I do not stand here seeking the truth about myself, but for my daughter."  He pointed at me.  "Today is her eighteenth birthday, which means she should have gotten her wolf two years ago, unfortunately, she has not. I would like to know when she will get her wolf."

All eyes were on me, I was starting to feel a little self-conscious. Even the King's eyes rested on me and I couldn't help but be drawn to them. But just as quickly as he looked at me, he glanced away.
I then locked eyes with Hannah, she had a grin on her face. I had been foolish enough to divulge my secret to her some months before my eighteenth birthday about not having my wolf. I would not be surprised if she was the one who put her father up to this task to disgrace me.

The shaman scrutinized me with his dark almond eyes. He then gestured for me to come to him, but I refuse to get up from my seat. "Come here, NOW!!!" He ordered.

I stayed seated. No one orders me around, who the hell does he think he is? I don't do well with people thinking they can intimidate me just because I am petite looking.

My father frowned on me and my mother nudged my side. She signaled with her eyes for me to obey the shaman. I got up from my seat and walked up to the long-haired man. He had a scowl on his face as he watched me.

The feeling is mutual, old man.

Suddenly, he closed his eyes and began mumbling some more incantations. None of anything he said was coherent.
After mumbling for five minutes, he finally opened his eyes and glared at me. He lifted his hand and pointed a finger at me. "This girl is cursed!" He screamed.  "She will never have a wolf and she knows it!"

His words aggravated me. "I am not cursed sir, you are!" I retorted, ignoring the murmurs from the other guests.

"Melissa!!"  My father gripped my arm and forced me to look at him.  "Is it true?! You know all along?!"

I inhaled deeply, and let out a slow exhale.  "Father, You were only interested in me having a wolf, you never for once cared about how I felt. I did not want to disappoint you—"

He snapped, his eyes darkened as his wolf was almost on the verge. "By embarrassing me in front of everyone?!"

I gritted my teeth in annoyance. "I didn't ask you to volunteer yourself to be read by a shaman. That was of your own volition, not mine."

The lines on his forehead deepened and he bared his teeth in rage. "No child of mine will be without a wolf! You will only bring shame to me and your entire family!" He spat.
I prepared my heart for his next words because I knew exactly what they would be, and how heartbroken they would make me.
He finally added:  "From now henceforth, you shall never be called my daughter, I disown you, Melissa!"