He Saved Me Chapter Four

Start from the beginning

"Get your ass off my counter top! And it may not be the school's business, but it is definitely your mother's business where you were, ROBERT!!" she snatched the bag from my hand and threw it onto the counter behind her. "Where were you?" she repeated.

I slid to my feet and retrieved the bag. Her questions were bringing images of Isobel into my head. But I couldn't tell her about that. "It doesn't matter mom, just drop it!"

"Ok it's dropped. But Bobby the school says that today wasn't the first time this month that your attendance has been called into question. The guidance lady say's that this is your third strike and now I have to come in and talk to the principle if I'm gonna have any hope of you not being suspended! Baby, I thought we had talked about this. How are you going to get into college if you can't even take high school seriously?"

"I'm not going to college." I tensed as I waited for the bomb to explode. This was the first time I had ever voiced that outside of my head and I knew that she wouldn't hear of it.

"Oh yes you are!" she nearly screamed. She stared into my eyes, and her brown eyed glare collided with my blue one. "You ARE going to college! And you're going to get an education and you're going to make HONEST money Robert Slade!" She called out my full name just to piss me off.

"But I don't need money, so what's the point in going to college?"

"The point is to do something worth being proud of. What if you have kids one day Robert? Don't you want them to be proud of their daddy? To look up to him? To want to one day grow up to be just like him?" her voice trembled on the last words.

"That's bull shit mom! I used to look up to my dad. To want to one day grow up to be just like him. Now look at me. Look what he did to us. To you! Mom, you couldn't have any kids now if you tried, and that bastard did that to you! He's not worth looking up to and he went to college. I would rather die than to be like him! He practically murdered my little sister, and you let him!" I regretted my words before I even said them. I knew they would hurt her. I had watched mom hurt a lot over the years, and this time it was my fault. But it was like the words had to be said.

I didn't even feel the slap. The only reason I knew that she had hit me was because of the look in her eyes and the fact that the force of the blow and caused my head to rotate to the right.

"You're grounded! Give me your phone!" she demanded. Before I could even respond, she had snatched my cell phone from its clip on my belt and turned around to exit the kitchen. I was slow to react, but when I did, I followed her upstairs to my room. I stood in the doorway and watched her as she stormed around my room, throwing my belongings into a box.

"Mom?" I started hesitantly.

"Shut up!" she snapped. "For two weeks, you will not use a phone, a computer, a laptop! You will not watch a TV!" as she screamed, she snatched my laptop off the bed and threw it into the box along with my iPod and iPad. She crossed the room to my computer desk and snatched the power cord from the back of the desktop computer. By the time she was finished, every electronic item in my room was in that damned box!

"I need my computer for school!" I lied. I didn't need my computer for school work, but she didn't know that.