02. Rivalries

Love Game. ⭑ Ricky Bowen.
CHAPTER TWO — RIVALRIES

             High School Musical was never Nadia's favorite Disney Channel movie, so in the beginning she wasn't very interested in auditioning for the musical. After all, her main focus was always in dance and that already stressed her out as is. Why should she, a devoted dancer since birth, suddenly switch hobbies?

Well, that's what she thought at first.

Initially, she didn't give much thought to the idea, but as she observed the growing number of students enthusiastically signing up for this particular endeavor, her curiosity began to pique. It wasn't because she harbored any intentions of becoming a "theater kid" or anything of the sort, but rather because it presented her with a golden opportunity to partake in various activities alongside her fellow classmates.

Was it the best idea? Well to her, it was the only idea.

Nadia held the flier to the musical in her palms as students passed behind her, nevertheless she paid no mind. The photo on the flier was of the HSM cast in their iconic jumping pose but all she could imagine was her face printed right on top of Gabriella's.

Unexpectedly, an unfamiliar voice appeared from behind her shoulder. "You planning to audition?" Startled, Nadia turned around to meet eyes with a girl she'd never seen before. The girl stood with a smug smile, which almost annoyed her as she scanned her up and down. Her hair was dark, curly, and put into a neat bun atop her head. Her skin was almost a golden bronze, smooth and shiny. Still, above all she held a high sense of confidence and self-absorbedness.

By first impressions, she didn't particularly like her, finding her smug smile and self-assured attitude irritating.

"Excuse me?" She finally spoke up.

"For the musical." The girl repeated, her smile never faltering. "Are you planning to audition?"

She looked at the flier, then back at the girl before nodding. "Um.. maybe?"

She smiled before extending a hand to her. "I'm Gina. Gina Porter. I just transferred here."

Nadia glanced at her extended hand, then back to her before hesitantly shaking it. "I'm Nadia."

"Oh, I've heard of you!" Gina beamed, leaning against the wall as she took her in, which prompted a frown from Nadia. "Students talk a lot, y'know? You're supposed to be somewhat popular from what I've gathered."

"Yeah, sure." She shrugged as she placed the flier back on the bulletin board, sticking the thumbtack right at the top.

"You ever done a show before?" Gina pressed.

"Not necessarily a show like this." Nadia replied, finally facing the new girl. "I dance ballet, so I've done a few shows before. Swan Lake, Nutcracker, The Little Mermaid, etcetera."

"So you're auditioning for a backup dancer?" She gave her a condescending grin.

Brushing her hair from her face, the Allen girl couldn't help but let out a sudden, swift chuckle. She looked at the floor briefly before making direct eye contact with Gina. Nadia wasn't naive; she was aware of girls like Gina. Even in her ballet classes, there were always the ones who tried to intimidate their competition. However, Nadia was far from weak and was the last person to be underestimated, especially by a transfer student who was clearly out of her depth.

"No, no. I'm not. I already dance enough after school." She grinned.

"Well then, you give off major Taylor vibes. Possibly even a bit of Kelsi?"