" What the hell she want with this place? We're not exactly close to Chicago." A young guy in a prospect vest questioned then shut up when Rugger shot him a side look.   Then his eyes were back on him but he didn't ask. 

     " What I can tell you is that her birth name is Brandi Cole which she legally changed to Kennedy Cole when she hit eighteen.  Hasn't seen her mother since DCF removed her at 14.  My investigator found her in Chicago where she owns a small club with a partner.  She intends to run the bar as well as get the restaurant and motel back up and running."  He offered hoping it would  ease the way for her.  Personally he thought she was nut. 

    " What kind of club?" Rugger questioned and Maxim downed the rest of his drink before answering.  And when he did the man actually smiled.  Was creepy as fuck. 

Chicago

       Her bio dads name was a curse in their house when she'd been young.  Someone who Candy blamed for all her life problems.  Other than that Kenny had never met the man as he'd left when she'd been a couple weeks old.  But he'd sent child support and left the house Candy still lived in.  Even if DCF had deemed him unfit those things counted in her book as solid. 

      Only once had she been silly enough to try and contact him.  Just before she'd aged out of foster care .  His old lady had laid out how things stood, and that had been that.  She'd survived enough at that point that it had just been a blip to her.  And until the lawyer found her Kenny hadn't thought about him since. 

       Using an alias Kenny had build up The Den into a small but profitable club in the heart of Chicago.  Her escort service also added to her portfolio.  All done legally and permitted.  It was thanks to Candy that she'd been forced to use a different name.  Money she owed to the wrong people.  People who had though they could collect from her and been wrong.  Candy could pay her own debt, Kenny owned that women less than nothing. 

     "Sidow will jump over from the service to help manage until someone can be hired to fill the position.  Im leaving Trin in charge of the escort business and making her partner.  Im finalizing some plans now but my goal is to leave in a couple weeks" she finished detailing to Quincy who sat across from her looking pissed. 

      She really couldn't blame him as she was essentially abandoning the business they'd built together.  On the personal side he was her best friend and she'd only just told him about Luther and his death also.  If his father didn't love her so much she might have been a little worried right now of him unaliving her. 

     "Listen I'm not saying it's forever but the business is mine and you know how that plays for me." She softened which didn't happen often.  Neither did this feeling of letting someone down. 

      "I get that part of it love.  But where in all that was the mention of your new tenants.  Or the protection you've set up" he quietly questioned in his I'm a dangerous Irish mob boss voice.  Ewww ahhh. She though smirking until what he said clicked in.  Fucker.   " My Da called me the day after Luther died.  The man loves ye but wasn't about to do business without a full background check.  I've been waiting for you to mention it love.  But didn't expect this" he added getting up to refill his drink.

Unease settled in her stomach at the thought of disappointing Brandon Mulligan or his wife Jane. Both had adopted her into the family. Neither blinking an eye when she set up the escort business. Brandon even owned a percentage of The Den though he'd not once stepped in the door.

" I hadn't made up my mind til yesterday. But I should have told you." She conceded " I also should have called your da as this new property is only an hour outside of Boston." She added then took a moment to think over his biggest worry. Protection.

The Mulligan's were the head of the Irish Mob in both Boston and New York. They were connected to the O'Shea's and The Blood Wolves MC. And while Brandon was a cousin the affiliation was in more than name. 

       " You know I suck at the politics" Kenny muttered. 

       " And at self preservation.  Lucky for you I've already planned ahead.  Old Murphy will be going along as back up.  And the cousins as you said are near by." He stated  and added to her list.  But before she could get to it Quincy pointed at the phone. 

     "Damn, fine" she ground out then picked up and dialed.

Two hours later Kennedy was home in her one bedroom small apartment. The same apartment she'd had for the past 6 years. Nothing special and she'd never bothered to decorate. Presently she was sitting in an overstuffed wide chair, the living rooms only piece of furniture. Books sat in piles discarded after being read once. No TV on the wall and only one bar stool at the island in the open concept kitchen. Quincy called it sad while Kenny considered it enough.

She'd come home tonight after the call to start packing up. It made no sense to leave the apartment sitting empty. And subletting would feel like a violation of her space so she'd decided to let it go. The lawyer had explained the living situation and she'd already purchased a trailer and truck. That way she'd have both transportation and a home while she renovated.

Deeming the living room an easy pack Kenny got up and headed to her bedroom. Again the space wasn't big but here at least she'd let her personality show. A queen sized bed dominated the space and the bed frame was custom made. It would be put into storage and shipped later. It was the walk in closet that had her groaning.

"Im a clothes hoarder" she announced to the quiet room before pulling out several rolling suitcases. The River of Styx wasn't The Den so 75% of her closet would be out of place. Picking through her jeans and tops took near an hour and filled two cases. The final two got her loungewear and leather.
By the time she made it through shoes Kenny was ready to call it a night.

Going through her night time routine Kennedy showered quickly then climbed into bed naked. And knowing she wouldn't sleep without dreams, took a sleeping pill. As her eyes soon fluttered Kenny prayed she was making the right choice. Then told herself off for allowing the moment of weakness.

Brandon Mulligan too was preparing for bed when his family only cell phone began to ring. One glance had him snatching it up and answering.

" Sean, thanks for getting back to me so quickly" Brandon began then unloaded about Kennedy. "My girls had a rough start and I'm worried what she's walking into." He finally said as Jane joined him in their bedroom .

"I'll do some digging and will have two of our men nearby if needed. Give me a day or two" Sean offered before talk turned to the family. Twenty minutes later he lay curled around his Jane's back.

"She'll be okay. Our Kenny is a tough cookie." Jane assured squeezing his hand.

"Even cookies crumble my dear" he murmured