004.

over the summer, a handful of things occurred.

in new york, jackie started working as a front desk assistant for a realtor company. she also went to therapy every wednesday afternoon and after a couple months, figured out what she wanted to do for the next school year and with the walter boy catastrophe. 

danny had his musical theater program at julliard, and while he wasn't doing that, he started working at an ice cream shops after the program some days and on the weekends. 

jackie and danny ended up being incredibly close by the end of the summer. many nights after work, they would play card games and tell each other all about everything happening in their lives. since uncle richard wasn't around all the time, they also went on the occasional grocery shopping outing together. 

danny also started talking to erin and they were starting to become close romantically. jackie, on the contrary, steered as far away from romance as possible.

in montana, alex began to realize how much he desired freedom. going to training camp was one of the best decisions he had ever made. however, he still couldn't completely shake the thought of wanting jackie by his side. even though they promised to text a lot, they didn't. it was neither and both of their faults. they just ended up caring about each other from a distance.

in silver falls, cole finally started to realize his potential. he went to summer school and met some new people. he particularly met one girl named courtney at a pool party around the middle of june. they got to know each other well quickly and started dating in early july. even though it was hard to believe, he had changed a lot for the better. there were no secret hook ups or anything.

he also thought it would just be better to stray away from jackie even if she did come back because she was still alex's. even if they were "taking a break", it would just be wrong if he spent time around her other than his other brothers.

while everything was going on with them, the walter house remained the same. there was a lot of chaos, of course, but all of the kids were genuinely happy, but the parents... were having their own difficulties. 

the farm was still having difficulties. they were making do with the money they had and the few good crops that had peaked over the summer, but it wasn't enough. they were going to have to sell the farm. there was no other option. they decided it would be better to wait until everyone was home to tell the kids.