"why is that?"

"i guess i just," it was my turn to put down my book, "ive never minded being invisible. keeps me away from drama, away from boys, away from-"

"from my brothers." danny interrupted me, and, just like the other day in his car, followed my surprised expression with a mocking one. but he had a silly smile with his raised eyebrows and widened eyes. i blushed, feeling my cheeks go red.

"harper, dont act like you dont make it obvious you are the only girl not begging for one of our attentions." my eyebrows kept rising, "now, do i blame you?" danny laughed, "absolutely not." he shrugged one shoulder, "we're just dumb boys. if i was a girl at our school, i'd stay away from us too." he leaned forward as he said it, like he was sharing a secret. and then he looked to the side, "well, my brothers are. i think im ok." he laughed at himself.

and i found myself laughing too.

then i realized, i had just opened up to him. to a walter brother, and he accepted me for it.

i smiled up at him, "you are ok." i said affirmingly, and danny gave me a look.

"thanks, i guess." he shook his head with a deflated tone, but still a smile.

"no, no!" i blurted out, "thats not what i meant." we both were laughing now, "just," i sighed heavily, "youre different, than what i thought this family was. and i can tell that your different from them, too." danny smiled kindly over to me, and i did so back, "youre much more real."

"thank you, harper." he hit my shoulder gently with his playright, "i always knew you were different too. you just never let yourself show enough evidence to prove it." i tried to hold my smile as i thought about what he mustve meant.

it was evident he had known who i was from the first time i was here, because he knew my name.

but, that made it seem like there was more. had he been watching me? trying to figure out who i was, and what i was like?

and if so... for how long?

"you think youre invisible," danny continued, "but youre not. youre invisibility just made you stand out more." he flickered his eyes in between the play in his hands and my eyes, "to me i guess."

while thinking of something to say to that, a voice came from the side of the room.

"dinner's ready," it was cole, leaning on the door frame of the living room entrance, "come eat." he had been staring at us, but i was still processing the rapid thoughts in my mind.

after a second, i picked myself up off the couch, and followed danny to the table. cole was behind me, i could feel him, but the only two open chairs left when we got there was the one i was sitting in, on one end of the table, and another on the opposite end.

thank goodness.

i dropped into the chair next to erin, and across from danny, and took a deep breath.

what is it with these boys and shocking me? why did they have to be so unpredictable?

all my life, i had these boys, this family, set in my mind. i saw them as all the same, always the same, drama ridden boys.

but they were different. and i had told the truth moments ago, danny was different. he was intentional, and showed when he cared much more than the other boys seemed to.

he was genuine.

i sneaked a few peeks at him as each dished was passed around the table. and while isaac was getting taught how to cut the turkey, he met my eye, and i ashamedly looked away.