PERIWINKLE

Bodhi had picked up the guys and headed over to Holden's. They hadn't been together for over four months. He was staring out the windshield, lost in thought.

"Dude. Are you okay? You've been smiling like a jackass this entire drive over."

He looked in the rearview mirror at Jake, then back at himself. I wasn't smiling like a jackass. Was I? Truth is, he knew that he was. I'm going to see my Periwinkle after four months. Well, she isn't my Periwinkle, but I wouldn't mind if she were. Persephone is the most beautiful, intelligent, charming, beautiful... did I already say that? God, if only she would give me the time of day. I mean, at one point, I did have the go-ahead from Holden, for Christ's sake. The only thing in my way is... well, her. Fuck. I am so tired of all the useless sex. Just once, I want to make love to someone. 

"You look deep in thought. Are you thinking about Katie?"

"What? Huh?" Bodhi said.

"Not Katie? Then who? Tiffany? Please tell me you hooked up with Tiff!"

"I'm not thinking about anyone."

"You lie," Lewis said, poking him in the leg.

"Fine. Yes. Katie." 

"DOG!"

"YOU HOUND!" Jake said fist, bumping Lewis.

"Why are you fist-bumping him?"

"You're driving. Keep 'em on 10 and 2, Bodhi."

"Actually, Jake, it's 9 and 3 now."

"Dude, you used to be so cool. Now you're so... responsible. This whole adult thing you've got going on doesn't look good on you," Lewis said.

God, can these two just shut up so I can get back to thinking about Perri?

"So, I like the new truck. Did Holden buy it for you?" Jake said with a laugh.

"I do have a job." Oh, who am I kidding? Holden gave me the down payment. God, this is so embarrassing. 

"Why did you get a white one? Is that the only color on the lot?" Lewis asked.

"I like the color white. Is there something wrong with that?"

"Is it a virgin thing? I bet it's a virgin thing. You do like your virgins."

"No, Lewis. It's not a virgin thing. It's a color thing."

"White isn't even a color. Like Vanilla isn't an actual flavor."

"Jake, you are a bigger idiot than Lewis! White is a combination of all the colors in the color spectrum. It's only the absence of color regarding paint. AND Vanilla is the second most expensive of the spices, so it's actually the Bently of all the flavors."

"How do you know this shit?" Jake had a look of confusion on his face.

"Periwinkle told me. She is really smart. Maybe you should read a book. You might learn something."

"Why would I do that if I can just google it?"

Lewis turned and faced him. "And who the hell is Periwinkle?"

He felt his face get hot. The only people who knew he called Persephone Periwinkle were Holden and, of course, Perri. 

"There's that jackass smile again!" 

"Shut up, Lewis."

He pulled into Holden's driveway. There were about fifteen other cars there. He saw Perri's, and he felt his chest go tight.