Chapter 21

And thought that fever dream of a memory was over, a new one unfolded over the next few days. A much darker one, one permanently stuck in my memory that I still struggle t
forget and one that forever changed the way I perceive the world.
After days of being stuck on that piece of land finally an answer came. Agamemnon decide to seek advice from the chief Priest, Calchas, a short, ugly man with a long brown beard. Anyone would wonder he wasn't killed at birth.
The answer he provided was that somehow we had insulted the goddess Artemis -he did not specify how-. His description was the one most frequent in these situations: a huge sacrificewas needed. With an altar, honey mixed with red wine.
At our next camp meeting, Agamemnon announces that he has invited his daughter to help resolve the situation. She is a priestess of Artemis, and the youngest woman ever to have been so anointed; perhaps she can soothe the raging goddess.
Then we hear more—this daughter is being brought from Mycenae not just for the ceremony, but for marriage to one of the kings.

The moment I heard that,I immediately knew something was wrong. Artemis asked for a sacrifice, not a wedding. And from experience I know the gods -especially the Olympians- don't stop until they get they want.

Agamemnon summons Achilles  me and Patroclus to his tent.  His face looks rumpled and swollen, the skin of a man who has not been sleeping. His nose is still red with rash. Beside him sits Odysseus, cool as ever, ready to obey whatever task the king of Mycenae has set for him.

Agamemnon clears his throat. “Prince Achilles. I have called you here with a proposition. Perhaps you have heard that—” He stops, clears his throat again. “I have a daughter, Iphigenia. I would wish her to be your wife.”

We stare. Achilles’ mouth opens, closes.

Odysseus says, “Agamemnon offers you a great honor, Prince of Phthia.” This must be a scheme of Agamemnon's and surely Odysseus' talent of persuasion helps.
Achilles stutters, a rare clumsiness. “Yes, and I thank him.” His eyes go to Odysseus, and I know that he is thinking: What of Deidameia? Achilles is already married, as Odysseus well knows.

But the king of Ithaca nods, slight so that Agamemnon will not see. We are to pretend that the princess of Scyros does not exist. How could my brother be so foolish? Sure he is impulsive but I never thought of him as foolish. If he had to pretend then something is surely going on that we don't know.

“I am honored that you would think of me,” Achilles says, hesitating still. His eyes flicker to me and Patroclus, in a question. Another thing I notice: why would he choose Achilles to marry his daughter? He barely knows him.

Odysseus sees, as he sees everything. “Sadly, you will only have a night together before she must leave again. Though of course, much may happen in a night.” He smiles. No one else does. I stare at him quite intensely with hate I try to hide which ends up fading his smile.
A/N:Her deathstare>>

“It will be good, I believe, a wedding,” Agamemnon’s words come slowly. “Good for our families, good for the men.” He does not meet our gaze.

Achilles is watching for Patroclus'  answer. Yet he ignores mine; he will say no if he wish it. I wanted to scream, I wanted to warn him. But perhaps that would be pointless as my concerns may be just concerns.

Achilles offers his hand. “I accept, Agamemnon. I will be proud to name you father-in-law.”

Agamemnon takes the younger man’s hand. I watch his eyes as he does—they are cold and almost sad. Later, this shall make sense and my concerns

He clears his throat, a third time. “Iphigenia,” he says, “is a good girl.”

“I am sure she is,” Achilles says. “I will be honored to have her as my wife.”
"And I shall be happy to call her my sister in law, and friend I hope" I said smiling.