Chapter 1

Isabella hurried down the busy London street, clutching her worn leather suitcase tightly. Fresh off the carriage from her sleepy hometown of Willow Grove, she felt utterly out of place in the bustling metropolis. A naïve country girl through and through, she had journeyed here after landing a secretarial position at the prestigious London law firm of Johnson & Marshington. The job was Isabella's chance to help provide for her struggling family, ever since her father's unfortunate passing.

Arriving at the address she had been given, Isabella gazed up at the stately columned building, intimidated by its imposing facade. She paused on the front steps, brushed the dust from her simple calico dress, and tried to gather her courage before walking inside to introduce herself.

"Good day, I'm here about the secretarial position, my name is..." she began timidly to the first man who crossed her path, a handsome well-dressed gentleman with dark brown hair and startling green eyes.

But before she could finish speaking, the attractive stranger cut her off. "I'm terribly sorry miss, but I am not employed here. I'm Charles Marshington, I've merely stopped in to meet my brother who runs this firm. But may I escort you to the office manager?" 

Mortified at her mistake, Isabella reddened but accepted Charles' offered arm. He led her there and gave her an encouraging smile as she met Mr. Johnson's steely gaze. After a rigorous interview, she was hired on the spot.

Over the next few weeks, Isabella slowly adjusted to her new position and the rigors of city life. She rose early each morning in the small boarding room she let, donned her plain dress, pinned up her unruly copper hair and hurried to the office. The work was tiring but fulfilling, as she polished her shorthand and typing skills. The lawyers were all businesslike and paid her little attention, too preoccupied with the demands of their cases. All except Charles Marshington, who made a point to greet Isabella each time he came by.

Their conversation was friendly, but brief out of propriety. Still, Isabella felt her heart quicken whenever he flashed that winning smile of his. A lifetime of caution told her to ignore the attraction. After all, Charles moved in high society circles far beyond her reach. But Isabella found herself dreaming of the dashing Mr. Marshington nonetheless...