he tosses him a shirt from the closet. "im not missing on free dinner from coach."

ishan runs his fingers through his hair, letting a few bangs hang loose. he throws on his ear piercings, wraps a pearl necklace, then turns around when he hears shubman whistle.

"im pretty sure im looking at my dinner right now."

ishan pays him no attention, checking his pockets for the key card. "come down in five or im leaving," he says.

shubman sighs. "he's so hot when he ignores me."

shubman warms up to the party rather quick, mostly because it's just teammates and their families, and it feels like home with everyone around.

he slings his arm around ishan standing next to him. "i miss london's christmas," he says.

ishan nods in agreement. "let's go there next year if we're not playing."

"just the two of us?" shubman bites back a smile.

ishan looks up at him. "if you want."

of course i want, he thinks.

"sounds romantic."

ishan laughs. "imagine the tabloids. shubman gill aur ishan kishan gaye london manane christmas akele, aakhir esa kya hai jo dono yaha nahi kar saktein?"

shubman snickers. "a lot."

ishan sips his beer, feeling a rush of exhilaration. "we should be each other's new year's kiss, what say?"

shubman's heart skips a beat. "you're being awfully cheesy today."

this has to mean something, right? it can't be something just-friends do.

ishan shrugs. "it's better than starting the year alone."

shubman smiles. "we have forever to start every year together. you'll stay with me, right?"

ishan looks down at his beer swirling, tiny bubbles starting to ascend. "yeah," he says. "i'll stay by you."

just then, ishan gets a call from his manager. "oh, i got to take this. be right back."

"just when the moment was building," shubman grumbles to himself as ishan steps out. he feels a smack on his back.

surya grins. "why're you sulking like a loner? where's your boyfriend?"

"taking some call. hey, why'd you leave us behind at the hotel? ishan got all fussy."

surya rolls his eyes. "i went to your room, to check. but didn't feel like ruining the moment."

shubman frowns. "what moment?"

surya pulls out his phone. "look at this," he says, showing a picture of the two sleeping. well, cuddling.

ishan is crashed on his chest, and his arms behind his neck. shubman's chin rested on ishan's soft hair. they're completely entangled with each other.
the toy he'd gifted him is pushed to the further corner of the bed.

shubman's heart grows warm at the sight. he doesn't want to get ahead of himself but they look so perfect together. like puzzle pieces that complete each other.

"bhai," he says softly. "i think..."

surya looks at him. "hm?"

"something is wrong with me. i think i might have feelings for him."

surya blinks. did he hear it right?

"um," shubman breathes sharply. "this is not normal, right? i want to hold him forever like this, and i don't want anyone else holding him. does this mean i like him?"