"nice to meet you too valerie." he said, as valerie had taken the book and was making her exit. "wait! could i get your number please?" he asked, grabbing onto her wrist and causing her to turn around to look at him.

"yeah." she smiled up at him, giving him her phone.

before she could converse with him any further, her father had appeared, wondering what was taking valerie so long. upon seeing valerie chatting to jordan, nathaniel's fatherly instincts kicked in; he immediately dragged valerie away from the boy in front of her. he couldn't believe the nerve of valerie, to be flirting with a boy she barely knew, when her parents had trusted her to carry out a simple task. so when she was waving goodbye to jordan, he playfully slapped her hand down.

"seriously val?! we leave you alone for five minutes and you're already talking to some guy?!" nathanial ranted.

"wow dad! you're making it sound like all i do is flirt with guys." she teased, "plus, it wouldn't be a problem if you weren't so overprotective." valerie groaned, as she rolled her eyes.

"you clearly have your mum's sass." he mumbled, unaware valerie heard him. they approached the till, with nathanial paying instead of valerie.

"i heard that! i'm so telling mum and you are so sleeping on the couch." she teased, nudging her dad as they exited the shop. her father then nudged her back and the two playfully fought with each other, until reaching a very unimpressed emma.

"do you guys have to play fight wherever you go?" she chuckled.

"nah he's just being annoying." valerie teased, causing her dad to gasp and her mum to laugh.

"she really has got your sass." nathanial murmured, as he approached his wife and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

"dad you did not just say that! you're basically asking to her dropkicked." niko gasped, slowly turning to see his mother's reaction.

"my sass?!" emma asked, pulling away from her husband with a frown.

"ooh!! fight! fight! fight! niko film this!" valerie chanted quietly, not expecting her brother to actually film the interaction, "dad be careful with what you say next otherwise you'll actually be sleeping on the couch."

"alright that's enough out of you." nathanial addressed his daughter as he spoke, before turning to his wife, "i just meant that her personality is a lot like yours, sweetheart. and she happens to be sassy, which you also are?" he replied, with his response sounding more like a question.

"and that is....the wrong answer dad. you're cue was to downplay and change subjects. not to double down." valerie laughed.

"i'm sorry but that means you don't get today's prize which was a pass to live until tomorrow." niko joked in a presenter like voice. him and valerie cackling hardly until meeting their father's deadpan expression.

"i'm the sassy one? if i recall correctly, i had asked you if you could check up on our daughter. you said, and i quote, 'can't you do that yourself?' and rolled your eyes. but i'm the sassy one?" emma had questioned, looking up to her husband.

"you did say that to be fair dad." niko chimed in, his father glaring at him in response.

"....have i mentioned how beautiful you look today?" nathanial asked apprehensively.

"that got boring really quick." valerie mumbled, resorting to texting her friend for entertainment.

"yeah that was a rubbish fight. boo!" niko exclaimed.