Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Come downstairs, Brinley, mom made breakfast," Clarin calls to me.

Oh, she thinks she can make a nice breakfast in attempts to make everything okay? Is this bribery? If so, it's only agitating me more.

I walk silently down the stairs, and the smell of cooking bacon overcomes me. Yes, it's bribery. This scent is too good to be for nothing.

"Good morning, Brinley!" My mom chirps merrily.

Instead of responding, I glare at her from the doorway. Hopefully that reads clearly enough for her.

"Oh, come on, I made your favorite," she sighs.

I purse my lips, looking away dramatically. If she thinks she can do away with everything she said yesterday, she's very wrong.

Owen is probably on his way to the airport. He's going to spend time with his family who I used to know. I could be going and enjoying my time with him away, but no. I get to sit here at home, with no communication with Owen, no way to get out of the house. I'm stuck here all because of something my mom is set on keeping away from me.

"Come eat," she says, sliding a plate of bacon, eggs, and biscuits across the counter.

I stare at it for a moment. If I take it, she'll think she wins. But my stomach growls. So I grab it and decide I'll eat it but that does not mean I'm being any more friendly with my captor.

"What time is it?" Clarin walks in, yawning. Her tired eyes lay on me and she smiles. "I forgot you're at home now. I'm glad we aren't separated anymore."

I wasn't the one gone. They left me.

"Are you still angry?" Clarin asks with a sigh. In reply, I frown, stabbing my fork into a piece of bacon. "I can understand where you're coming from-"

My mom throws her a pointed look.

"-but you aren't completely alone here. I may be no Owen... but I haven't gotten to do much with you lately. What do you say me and you go someplace today?"

I turn to her, giving her a blank look. I can't leave the house. I have been forbidden from those rights.

"Ah," Clarin smiles knowingly. "The famous silent treatment's comin' back, isn't it?"

I simply stare at her.

"You know," she says, plopping down beside me at the table, "before the accident, you'd give us the silent treatment at least once a week. Mom absolutely hated it. I find it amusing, honestly."

My mom looks at me and sighs, "I thought you got over that stunt."

I turned back to my food. I'm not going to lie, it's very good. Even if I were talking to them, I wouldn't say anything about it though. Once I've scarfed up the last bit of eggs, I stand up and practically throw my plate and fork into the sink. With that, I stomp my way up the stairs and back to my room.

I wish I had my phone. I want to call Owen. Is that so bad? He's my boyfriend! It's not okay to forbid contact with him. I sigh, falling onto my bed, staring blankly up at the ceiling.

There's a knock at my door. I look up, and for some wild second I hope to see Owen. Then again, my mom probably wouldn't let him in the house. He's snuck in before, though, hasn't he? He could do it again, couldn't he?

But no, it isn't him. It's Clarin.

She smiles at me softly, walking inside and sitting on the bed beside me. I let my head fall back again.

"So," she says, "if I tell you something, can you never mention it to mom?"

This makes me sit up, my attention officially caught.

"Um..." She looks at me with a small smile. "You used to have a reputation of not only giving the silent treatment when you were angry... But you also used to sneak out to do what you wanted to."

I raise my eyebrows, wondering why she's telling me this now.

"All you had to do was climb out your window once it was dark, which just so happened to have a nice vine-y plant to help you down... And if you ever needed it, I would give you some money to get you a taxi ride a few states over..."

My mouth opens in shock once I realize what she's saying. Is she trying to help me get to Owen's family reunion? That's impossible. Could she be?

"Just... Keep that in mind," she smiles. "I can keep mom distracted tonight if you'd like. Or if you can find something useful to do during that time..."

Oh, I would love that.

<•>•<•>

"Ready?" Clarin asks me quietly as I pull on a jacket. I have a small bag full of clothes and bathroom supplies prepared. She called a cab about ten minutes ago. It is supposed to meet me three houses down, as to not be suspicious.

"Yes," I breathe out. "Thank you so much, Clarin."

She hands me an envelope. I raise my eyebrows at her. What could this possibly be?

"Money," she says.

"You don't have to do that for me," I say, frowning.

"You've got none," she says. "You've always been a spender. Just take it, okay? And..." She bites her lip nervously. "Tell Owen that I say 'You're welcome.'"

I nod, smiling again. I can't believe I'm doing this. And apparently, not for the first time. My bag is surprisingly not that heavy. It must be safe to throw it out the window, right? It's just clothes. I do so, and it lands on the grass.

I turn back to Clarin. "Thank you. So much. I owe you one. A major one."

Instead of replying, she just pulls me into her arms. "Stay safe, okay?" Her voice is muffled by my shirt.

"I will," I assure her.

"And... Be open minded. That's all I can say," Clarin sighs.

And with that last goodbye, she hurries downstairs to keep our mom occupied. I look around the room one last time to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

Then I pull my window open and swing one leg over the ledge. A gust of breeze meets my bare leg. Maybe I should've worn jeans instead of shorts. Whatever. Too late now. My other leg follows, and then I'm just dangling by my hands. I look to my right and find the exact plant Clarin was talking about. I grab it and it stays firm as I let it take my weight. It takes hardly a minute to shimmy down it.

About three feet from the ground, I lose my grip. And I land in the grass with a thud. I groan, putting a hand to my head. That hurt.

Shoving myself off the ground, I pick up my bag and start out to the gate. I spot the taxi immediately and jog to it, and for some strange reason, I don't feel excited anymore. I feel superstitious, like something very bad is about to happen. I try to ignore it, hopping inside and giving the address to the man inside. The pit inside my stomach won't go away, though.