1

Nicky Monroe

"Nicky?" He said. I sat up immediately as his eyes lingered on me.

"Yes?" I replied fiddling with my hands under the table.

It was awkward. Too awkward.

"Maybe we should stick to the library."

My stomach gurgled and my heart pounded against my heaving chest. We were officially over.
I nodded as I turned back to the teacher and her useless explanations, trying to hold back my emotions that wanted to be let free.

I struggled to contain myself, the tears urging to come out. I couldn't belive it. The thing I didn't want to hear the most, was now heard.

We were done. Officially over, never going back to each other again. Our tie had been cut astray, letting us live without each other once more.

——
(6 years later)

I placed the newspaper down on my kitchen island before opening the fridge and dragging out the unopened bottle of white wine.

The squeals of Breddy's excitement filled the empty void of our crappy apartment. "I so needed this." He spoke handing me his wine glass.

I smiled as the alcoholic aroma filled my nostrils and relaxed me at one. This was my saviour.

"Fuck life, fuck my job and fuck this apartment." I huffed out before gulping down the spirit and placing the empty glass on the counter.

"Jesus Nick, I thought we weren't getting pissed tonight?" Breddy began to laugh as he moved off the stool and walked around to me, before engulfing me into a hug.

"Life gets better kiddo, I actually promise you." He cooed as he played with my hair, curling it round his fingertip.

A knock at the door arose, Brendon pulled away and hurried, opening the door and instantly latching onto his boyfriend. "Dex, i've missed you so much!" He spoke inbetween kisses.

Dexter closed the door behind him and snaked his arm around Breddys waist. "Hey Nicky." He raised his arm as I nodded.

"What for dinner tonight Chef?" I asked giggling.

Dexter came round very often, I was quite surprised he hadn't moved in yet. He always cooked for me and Bred, he was basically our personal housewife. I think they'd been going out since the day I met Brendon - they were very on and off at that time. They were both deeply and madly in love, and I couldn't fucking stand it.

To be honest, I gave up on boyfriends and love in general. Well, I gave it all up a year ago when my ex boyfriend broke up with me, in the middle of the town square - how fucking pathetic!

Even when I put my mind to it, I could never find a boy suitable for me - or suitable in general. One night stands seemed to float about here and there but, no one ever stayed.

"Erm Nicky, come look at this." Breddy said, him and Dexter stood next to our window. I shuffled over, curious about what they were seeing.

I peered over, to reveal a massive crowd and flashing lights in the garden plaza in front of our apartment building. It was a very odd sight.

"With all them flashing lights, you'd think it was a celebrity." Dex spoke as me and Brendon looked at each other.

A celebrity! A celebrity meet and greet, right in front of our apartment?

"Come on!" Brendon squealed as he proceeded to drag me and Dex with him and out of our apartment door.