INTO THE SHADOW REALM

Start from the beginning

"What's the matter, princess?"

"I heard someone knocking on the window." In an instant, the captain strayed towards the window, the guards following behind with tension clouded features. He had looked out for a few minutes before announcing to her that there was in fact no one there.

"Are you trying to say I am deaf?! I can in fact assure you that  I heard someone knocking on my window and if my finding is true and someone tries to break into my room again, I will make sure you are all beheaded for being such fools especially since your colleagues were excused after the first attempt." All guards knelt down confessing that they would never allow such to happen though she noticed all the guard excluding the captain rolling their eyes at her, not convinced by her threat since her father never treated execution as levelly as the other kings did. Belle took in a sharp breath, annoyed for the fear that still encased her till this moment. After the captain had affirmed severally that they would ensure her optimum safety and for once she noticed how tired he looked, rather reluctantly she dismissed them.

Belle turned, lifting her pillow to reveal a stash of white fresh papers on top of which sat a quill and ink bottle. Belle pulled them out and for what felt like the umpteenth time, she held the quill tightly with a tremble running up her fingers. Her breath caught in her throat as the end of the quill faintly drew down a line, smudging the paper with the bluish black ink. A memory filled her mind and once again she saw the blood that coated her note, the crimson liquid sinking talons into the picturesque drawings she had made.

After she had recovered, she had immediately discarded the book, the blood doing so much damage and no matter how much she did, she could barely do a single sketch even after the years that had passed, five to be precise. The knocking continued, resulting to a number of times that Belle had called the guards, each search they had undertaken resulted to a fruitless venture and the guards were finding it difficult to hide their annoyance. Another couple of knocks bled through her ears, Belle was about to pull on the rope to beckon on the guards but on second thought she decided not to.

Instead, Belle eased her way to the edge of her large bed before hopping down to the carpeted floor. Her heavy breaths filled the room as her heart banged in her ribcage. The knocking reduced to a clicking sound as the faint sound of breathing escaped the tiny gap between the window and the window sill in which was enclosed by black metallic netting. Belle pulled up a robe that was draped over a purple arm chair that stood beside her bed and slipped it over her body, the warm wool encasing her frame before she fastened the rope around her waist.

The warmth that came from the furnace that burnt brightly at the north wall could not banish the nipping cold that touched her spine.

Grabbing a large rod that stood slanted against the wall, she stepped towards the sound, her arms tense and her breaths shallowing. Belle let the worst scenarios escape her mind, trying to force down her rapid breathing. While clutching the cold rod like her life depended on it, Belle latched onto the cold cream colored window handle.

The snow continued to pelt the outside furiously, obscuring her vision of what lay beyond. With all the courage she could muster, she turned the handle which produced a snap. As soon as she opened it, Belle side stepped the screen of the window and a body flung through the air, following it the pelting snow. Belle, with her eyes on the figure shrouded in the dark cloak closed the window, her body shaking from the intense drop in temperature. The flames of the grand furnace continued on, now surging up to its former glory after the extinction of the chilly air.

"As the Crown Princess of Grilon Kingdom, I command you to explain your actions before I turn you over to the guards for breaking in and attempted assault!" Belle narrowed her eyes at the figure, tightening her hold on the rod. The figure turned, revealing a girl that looked no more than 12. The girl had green eyes framed by thick dark lashes that Belle could only dream of having. For some reason though there was an air that surrounded the girl that made Belle feel that she was much older than she actually looked. The girl's blonde curls hung down her back, similar to the ancient looking golden brooch that held her cloak together at her slightly tanned neck. Belle stared at the brooch for a moment, a dim glow emanated from it. Tightening her grip, she allowed her eyes to snap back to the girl's face. The girl bowed slightly, face to the floor.