2|beauty in the capitol

Começar do início

Pearl knew that she would have to physically fight for her survival if she was reaped. She never thought about how much she would have to show herself off to the public just to have a chance at survival.

Tigris studied Pearl, trying to create an image in her mind of Pearl's look for the tribute parade. "I think we can make your look stand out."

Tigris was still thinking. "Your name..." An idea seemed to pop into her head.

The time for the tribute parade came, and Tigris waited anxiously as Pearl searched for the long mirror in the room.

Pearl gasped, looking at herself in the mirror and seeing a completely different person. Tigris had really made her into a beautiful white pearl from the seas of District 4.

Her dress started off with a silky white and then became slightly see through. The lighter parts were adorned with individual shiny pearls and the longer part of the dress embodied both the silky white and see through pattern.

Long shiny tassels came down her side, and two overlapped necklaces fell onto her now clean skin.  One looked like golden seaweed, and the other was entirely made of pearls.

Pearls dangled from hers and a shiny clip was on the back of her head. Tigris had done her makeup beautifully as if she was an angel.

Pearl didn't even know what to say. Then it all dawned on her again. For a moment, she forgot where she was.

She's not attending a beauty pageant or anything like it. She's going on the chariot ride to her death. She's in the Capitol.

"What do you think?!" Tigris exclaimed.

Pearl didn't want to ruin the mood; Tigris seemed over the moon about her work. Despite the situation, Pearl had to admire the work her stylist had done on her.

"It's unlike anything I've ever seen before and I love it, Tigris."

Tigris suddenly hugged her, and Pearl almost pulled away at the sudden touch. She got scared for a minute.

"Sorry that was probably too much," Tigris muttered.

"It's ok. Thank you."

Pearl and Tigris exited the room together, searching for Hunter and his stylist. She suddenly spotted him, and he looked more miserable than she did.

Hunter approached her in his all white outfit that coordinated with hers. "This whole look is stupid. Why do we have to something based on you?" he spat.

Pearl smirked. "Don't be jealous of the fact that my stylist actually knows what they're doing. Yours, on the other hand..."

Pearl looked him up and down and his face fumed. "Your beauty won't get you a victory."

"Let's go!" Tigris exclaimed.

Pearl exchanged one more hostile glance with Hunter before following her stylist.

The crowd contained hundreds of Capitol citizens waiting to see the tributes. There sat President Snow at the end in all of his glory. He sat on his throne with the Gamemakers and other figures of authority by his side.

Mags waited to see her tributes in the audience. She felt a connection between her and Pearl simply because Pearl reminded her of herself when she was put into the games.

Lucky Flickerman, the host of the games, sat there on live TV, feeding the Capitol news about the "exciting" games.

"There are thousands of people just waiting to get a glimpse at this year's tributes! This has to be the most crowded and exhilarating games I've seen in my time hosting them!" Lucky announce.

"Our newly introduced sponsors get to see the tributes for the first time. Oh it's starting!"

Booming music began to play throughout the Capitol as the parade started and the chariots containing the tributes from each district came into view.

Lucky watched intensely and so did Snow and everyone in the audience. "I love how the stylists are able to capture the essence of each district."

It was District 4's time to shine. The chariot went by as Pearl forced big smiles and waves to the crowd that began to cheer louder and louder.

Lucky smiled. "Now that is styling! The Pearl theme- I love it!"

President Coriolanus Snow leaned forward out of his seat. He examined the tributes through the screen and through his own vision.

His icy blue eyes studied one tribute in particular. His eyes didn't leave the girl adorned with pearls and beauty.

Pearl suddenly nudged Hunter. "Hold my hand."

He looked disgusted. "What? Absolutely not."

"They'll love it," Pearl grunted, forcefully taking his hand and holding it up in the air. Sure enough, people did love it. Lucky looked surprised and the crowd cheered once again.

Snow looked at Hunter with pure hatred.

All of the chariots suddenly came to a stop in front of where Snow was.

"Welcome, tributes," his deep and calm voice spoke. Coriolanus Snow got out of his seat and adjusted the white rose on his suit.

Pearl stared at him. This was the first time she had ever truly seen him in person. How can the most evil person on the planet be so incredibly attractive?

His locks as white as snow and his eyes as blue as the water in District 4 just looked so incredibly perfect.

"We salute your courage and your sacrifice. Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor!"

Pearl began to grow sick when she realized that Snow was staring directly at her when he said all of this. All of these people- why her? Maybe she's just imagining things.

Yes, she had to be. Pearl laughed it off quietly. How could she be so self-centered? The President of Panem couldn't be focused on her in this giant group of people and incredible tributes.

There's nothing special about her. Snow doesn't care about anyone, and he definitely doesn't care about her.

PEARL BAZIN
OF DISTRICT FOUR

PEARL BAZIN OF DISTRICT FOUR