Chapter 6. Parents

Start from the beginning

Their scents are unfamiliar to me, both of them carrying undertones of each other's as most shifter mates do - the male's sharp and fresh scent of pine mingles with the sweet nutty chocolate of the female.

The female bears a dark tattoo-like mark on her neck and oddly so does the male. I can't help but stare at it quizzically. I don't know much about my kind but I do know females don't mark males. Perhaps they are a thruple and there's a third mate in the picture. They are certainly a beautiful pair to warrant it. My mind goes into a speculative nose dive which I'm dragged out of by Udry's commanding voice.

"Kyra, come here," Udyr commands.

I slip between Boaz and Jensen to stand behind Udyr and Borra.

Surrounded by walls of broad-shouldered bear muscle I should feel safe, but as my eyes meet the sapphire blues of the she-wolf I feel a strange pressure pulsing in my head as the female holds my gaze.

There is strength and power in her scent that is rather unusual for a female and something inside me recognizes her for what she is. An Alpha. Just like her mate. My wolf trembles inside me at the power she emits and the urge to submit to her is overwhelming.

"Kyra this is Alpha Sebastian and his mate Alpha Neo."

I nod at the pair and Udyr continues his introductions with a clear unhappy scowl on his face.

"This is my cub, Kyra," Udyr says to the wolves who lean forward on the table between them.

Alpha Sebastian growls low. His handsome features are marred by a scar running down the left side of his face lending him a threatening air as he scowls at Udyr. I don't doubt he is capable of seeing through his threats. Solid muscles flex under his sleeves as his hazel-green eyes flicker gold in the way my own do when my wolf surfaces. His lightly bearded chiseled jawline clenches and claws extend on the tabletop as he glares at Udyr.

"Sebastian," the female says, holding his forearm as Udyr bristles, his responding growl vibrating the floorboards beneath us.

The male heaves a breath and leans back holding Udyr's gaze and speaking through gritted teeth.

"She is a werewolf-pup, not a bear-cub."

Uncle Borra scoffs, "Are you here to state the obvious or have you seen enough? As you can see Kyra is no prisoner, she is family and she is perfectly safe, so we would appreciate it if you and your wolves would leave our lands."

The female ignores him turning to examine me again with piercing sapphire blue eyes. I don't hold back from my own inspection. Curiosity has the better of me. I haven't seen another she-wolf since I can remember and certainly not an Alpha female. She's a bit of a contradiction. A small female, tiny next to her mate, with beautiful features, it's the strength in her eyes and the power in her aura that warns not to judge a book by its cover.

Something begins to unnerve me as it registers we have the same golden wheat skin tone, and her hair is the same color and texture as mine. Long and thick, the color of dark chocolate.

I glance back at the male. He shifts his glare from Udyr to me, his eyes gentling. A warm smile brightens his face and surprise registers in my own. I know those eyes. I look at them every day in the mirror. Hazel-green with flecks of gold.

My heart hammers in my chest as my wolf surges forward with a thought I cannot even formulate into words.

"We will leave when we leave with our daughter." The male says and my world spins.

A voice from a world away fills my head.

They are all dead, everyone who ever knew you, ever loved you is gone. I killed them all.