Chapter 15: Diversion

It's been almost an hour that you've talked with Ace and you didn't get called yet. Other people got teleported twice for trials you weren't invited in, reminding you to stay focused on your sensations to call for your friend's help in time. Every so often, you check in your pocket, afraid to lose the very needed coin; and always feel relieved to feel that round beaten plastic junk edges.

While waiting, you've spent some quality time with everyone, trying to strengthen your relationships and show your innocence. From joking around with the Lyra's siblings or asking Kate to play your favorite music to sharing trivia about each other's countries with Yun-Jin and Feng; all survivors seem to have forgotten about your shady activities. 

Just when you are starting to feel secure, the oppression strikes back. The Entity got its eyes on you. With a cold sweat, you take the coin out and toss it in the air while looking at the gambler's face. His expression changed for a split second, telling you that he got the memo. As you calmly stand up from your log, Ace gets a pack of cards out of his jacket and shouts:

"Hey everyone, it's been a while I haven't striped y'all at poker. Still want your revenge?"

Half of your friends suddenly stand up and walk toward him. As you leave the campfire, you can hear some words spoken by different survivors such as 'I am pretty sure you cheated last time' or 'You're the one getting stripped up today'. All of those were said with playful tones, surrounded by laughter. You feel a bit jealous to not play with them but you know you will have other opportunities.

"Oh come on! I can't even play cards peacefully!"

That was Bill's voice. He must have been marked to react like this. You need to get farther away before you get selected too.

You jog deeper in the woods, starting to feel the nausea from the switching effect. You still catch some voices and sounds from the survivors' camp but you can't tell what's happening there anymore. At some point, all you can hear is a muffled hum echoing on the trunks around you.

Perfect. If you need to scream due to the pain, you shouldn't get caught.

You wait a little, unaware of when you will be marked. Ignorant of the role you will have to play.

Finally, the dark circle fumes at your feet. You curl in a ball and close your eyes, ready for the worst. 

Nothing. Not even a sting on your skin or a crack in your knuckles. Just the mark, the silence of the forest and you.
You relax, sit on the ground, and breathe. You will play as a survivor for this one. The fog starts to swallow you. You don't resist and let yourself fall.

You open your eyes as soon as you feel the floor beneath you and restrain a surprised squeak. You've spawned in front of a bunch of Jizô statues, all staring at you with their uncanny smiles. They were already creeping you out in the video game but it's even worse in real life. At least you know where you're at. 

Yamaoka Estate - Sanctum of Wrath.

You climb up the stairs to the top of the temple and hear water. A very soft flow of water clapping in a puddle. A fountain, perhaps? You walk behind the paper screens and rapidly get your answer.

"That's one of the Plague's fountains right?"

You turn around and see Renato getting over the last step of the stairs while rearranging his hair.

"Yes, it is." you reply. "You remember what to do?"

"Yup. Avoid cleansing before the end game OR until it becomes too dangerous for me."

You proudly give a thumb up to your wise student:

"Exactly. Now tell me, who else got teleported?"

"You weren't with us? Jake and Bill were marked too."