By Your Side - novahd

James held Aleks' hand tightly in his. "I don't want you to go." The sixteen year old croaked. "You're my best friend and I can't see you leave this world..." James brought Aleks' hand to his mouth and kissed his pale knuckles.

Aleks let out a low chuckle. "It's bound to happen." He begins. "It doesn't matter how long you lived... Everyone will die eventually." James stared at his friend as he just shrugged.

"None of this would have happened if I didn't abandon you to talk to Seamus at that stupid party." The guilt weighed on his shoulders. "You wouldn't be in such a critical condition." He felt so disappointed with himself. If he stayed be Aleks' side, that fight wouldn't have broken out between Aleks and Jordan and he wouldn't have gotten nearly beaten to death by Jordan and his followers in the backyard of whoever's home that belonged to. The innocent soul wouldn't have bruises and deep cuts on his porcelain skin. Cuts so deep that it should have killed him, but somehow he's still breathing... but not for long.

"James." Aleks sighed. "Stop crying for fucks sake." James snapped out of his thoughts as he felt Aleks remove his hand from his and wipe away his tears. "I-I'm sorry." He stuttered. Aleks laughed weakly. "And stop apologizing you shit. It wasn't your fault to begin with, we were all drunk and we made bad decisions."

James took Aleks' hand once again and played with the promise ring he gave the other. A promise ring that represented that they'll stay by each other, regardless of what will happen to either of them in the future. "Babe..." Aleks started. "I'll be right by your side... I promise..." Tears that James thought were gone, returned once more, sliding down his cheek to his chin.

Aleks wiped away the tears sliding down his skin and onto the hospitals pillow. "Now that I promised you something, you need to promise me something." His voice was above a whisper. "Promise me that you'll follow your dreams," Aleks let out a sob. "that you won't give up just because I'm not there any more."

James leaned over to reach Aleks' lips, kissing them gently. "I promise."

It's been seven years, and now James, at twenty three, is an English teacher, fresh out of college and pursuing his dream. The young adult entered his classroom, preparing for his classes and planning out what to teach.

He pulled up the attendance list on his desktop as the bell rung. Students immediately filled up the room, each seat soon occupied with hyperactive teenagers talking over each other. "Alright, hello kids." Each child became silent and sat properly in their seat. Some teens responded with "Good morning Mr.Wilson" while others looked as if they were about to collapse.

James frowned, he feels sympathetic for the kids, they work hard and don't get enough sleep and don't sleep well. He sighed, wishing he could change the education system. Alas, he can't do anything about it.

"Guy's take out your textbook and review the last two pages of Hamlet while I take attendance." He was a lenient teacher, he never pushed his students to the point where they wanted to cry and he tried to make the class fun. The students did as they were told and he glanced around the room, and saw that everyone was here.

Just as James stood up to begin teaching, a teen opened up the door. The kid made James' heart drop to the floor. This teen looked exactly like his lover. 'I must be hallucinating, this kid can't be Aleks, he probably has a completely different name'. "Uh, He-Hello there." The student rubbed the back of their neck and gave a sheepish smile. 'Something Aleks would do.'