3. Training

I woke up a little before sunrise but couldn't bring myself to fall asleep again so I got up and dressed into the uniform I had seen in the closet the night before. I walked out of my room and into the dining room to see Mags in there drinking some coffee. 'Hi Mags' I said taking some coffee from the pot.

'Hi Talulah couldn't sleep?' She asked taking a sip.

'No' I said sitting beside her 'nervous for today'

'Everyone will love you darling' she said patting my hands.

I smiled slightly 'Mags?'

'Yes dear?'

'Do you sleep better now?' I ask.

She thinks for a second 'it's got easier over the years but I don't think it will ever get easier'

Me and Mags sat together until Magnolia and Pluto had woke up. Magnolia walked into the room already plastered with makeup 'big day you two, very big day'

'Is it?' Pluto asked taking a bite of toast.

Her smile flickered 'yes Pluto it is today is all about making friends for you' she said pointing to me 'I have no worries about but you' she looked at Pluto 'I have very big worries'

'Thanks Magnolia' He said sarcastically.

'Come on its time to leave' She said ignoring his comment.

.........

Me and Pluto walked into the training centre and scanned the room. 'See you later I guess' I said after seeing who I was trying to find. The girl from 12.

I walked over to her where she was making a snare 'that's really good'

She looked up at me 'thank you' she smiled kindly.

'If you could teach me how to make one of those I could teach you how to hunt?' I offered.

She nodded enthusiastically 'please.'

'I'm Talulah what's your name?' I asked the girl.

'I'm Leah' We sat together for a good 10 minutes her teaching me how to make a snare. After I had learned how to do it I stood and offered her my hand. Even though she was very much taller than me she was very thin and didn't look like she had any training or knew how to do much. I walked us over to the weapons table.

'Which one takes your fancy' I asked pointing to the weapons.

'The Trident looks cool' she picked up a silver Trident but her hand buckled with the weight. I caught it just in time before it hit the ground.

'This one it is then' I took the weapon and walked into the simulator. I look around keeping eyes on all the lasers. Suddenly a figure was made close to me and I plunged my Trident into his chest then behind it another was made I threw my Trident into it and rolled to get it back for the rest of the figures. I went through about 20 each figure disintegrating. Breathing heavily I looked out the window and saw all the tributes looking at me.

I left the room and walked back over to Evie.

'That was so good how did you learn to do that?' She asked smiling.

I smiled back 'years of practise want to start learning?'

'Yes definitely'

We started training and by the end Evie had started to get really good. I highfived her 'you've done so well'

'Thank you' She Blushed slightly.

I looked to our left and saw the boy from 6 was using a stick to try and make a fire. I walked over 'you should angle your hands down'

'What?' He looked up at me.

'Oh I said you should angle you hands down like this' i took the stick from his hands and started twisting it against the bark beneath us and made a small fire.

He looked impressed 'well done... your the 13 year old from district 4 everyone is talking about aren't you'

'Everyone is speaking about me?' I asked.

'Yeah' he nodded 'did you see yourself back there with the simulator your better then half the 18 year olds in here'

'Thanks' I said awkwardly 'I'm Talulah'

'I'm Derek'

'Nice to meet you' I shook his hand 'not to sound rude or anything but do you have any skills?'

'I'm good with plants' he said.

'Plants?'

'Like which ones are poisonous and things like that' he explained.

'That's really useful' i said looking out.

'I think it would be if you would like we could be allies?' He suggested.

'I would love that' I smiled.

I looked over the room again and saw Pluto talking to the boy from 9. I quietly said goodbye to Derek and walked over to the two boys. 'Hi'

'Oh hi Talulah' Pluto said smiling 'this is Carter'

I shook his hand 'nice to meet you carter'

He nodded but said nothing.

'Pluto could I talk to you a second?' I asked pulling him off to the side 'how do you feel about allies'

'That's what I'm trying to get' Pluto stated 'I'm just trying to avoid the careers' he pointed over to a group of 4 in the corner watching us.

'Well that's not unnerving and you do realise district 4 is considered a career district' I joked 'I have two allies the girl from 12 and the boy from 6'

'Talulah are you trying to die? And yes I know we are a career district but I'm not considered one because I couldn't afford to go to school but really?' He asked but when I gave him a confused expression he continued 'the girl from 12 really? She looks ready to die any second'

I pulled him in by his shirt 'don't be a dick' I said quietly 'she know a lot so if you would like you can go in alone and I'll the careers have a go at you so either stick with us or don't your choice'

I brushed past him and walked back over to Carter 'it was lovely meeting you Carter try not to get squashed with his big ego'

I heard Carter laugh as I turned and walked back to Leah and Derek.

Derek started clapping 'good show Miss Alloway'

I took a bow 'what can I say I'm here to perform'

Ruby Note: I really enjoyed writing this chapter and I've seen the way Talulah has slowly realised she could win and is now stopped throwing up every five seconds.