russet

Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

My pink-streaked hair was widely complimented by nearly everybody. I loved how it looked, even though Draco and I had hands the color of Pepto Bismol for a few days. I enjoyed my little rebellious phase, and wore it with the utmost confidence every day.

Unfortunately, it didn't last very long.

About a week later, I sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, enjoying a warm bowl of strawberry oatmeal when two Howlers landed on my plate instead of my usual one from the twins.

Hermione frowned, poking at the extra Howler with her spoon. "Who's that from?"

I shrugged. "Probably an extra from the twins. Should I open it first?"

She nodded and I tore the paper open. I jumped as soon as it started yelling, because the voice did not belong to Fred and George, but my father.

PEPPER ELAIN ATKINSON. IF THERE WAS ONE THING I TOLD YOU IT WAS TO NOT DYE YOUR DAMN HAIR! I DO NOT CARE IF YOU'RE OF AGE! IT WAS A FIRM NO! IF YOU DON'T GET IT FIXED IMMEDIATELY I WILL FIND A WAY TO GET THERE MYSELF AND SHAVE YOU BALD! AND I WILL KNOW. I HAVE MY SOURCES. Is that it, Molly? Is that the end? Thank you so much for all your–

I didn't even have time to process the Howler before Fred and George's opened, spilling its usual nonsense.

I felt all eyes on me as I tried to eat my oatmeal. I didn't know why my dad was so strict about something as simple as hair dye. There had to be something more than chemicals.

But what was it?

"Well, it was fun while it lasted," I said to Draco as we walked out of the Great Hall together.

"You're not going to keep it?"

"I'm not facing his wrath. What if he shows up here next?" I muttered. "So much for being an adult."

He rubbed my shoulder sympathetically. "Adrian sent me some sort of color remover just in case. But I think it's too late to use it now. But there's a spell that will do it."

"That man is a saint," I sighed. "This is awful. Why does he care so much? It's hair. It'll grow back."

"Is he worried about you looking unprofessional?"

"I'm a witch, and I already have a job," I muttered. "I honestly don't know what his deal is."

"Do you think maybe it's not something your dad particularly cares about?" he offered.

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Like... I hate to say this Pep, but what if it's something Dumbledore told him to tell you in regards to your mother?"

I paused. "Wait a minute. That would... That would make sense. I mean, my mother had dyed hair, and I really doubt he was yelling about chemicals with her." I groaned. "That bitch!"

"Dumbledore?"

"How much more is he going to keep from me? And what the hell does it have to do with my hair?" I groaned. "This is getting out of hand!"

"I have no clue," Draco said sympathetically. "But if that's the case, you better get that pink out of your hair as soon as possible. I can help you after Runes, if you'd like."

I shook my head. "It's okay, I have a free period now. I'll do it. Like you said, as soon as possible."

The spell wasn't difficult. I'd seen Faye Dunbar use it after many extremely unsuccessful blonde phases, and it had never failed to restore her chocolate colored locks to their natural state. I checked the spell in the book quickly before doing it. But to my great surprise, my hair was not its usual dark brown, but a shiny, coppery color.