blizzard

You, you must have been looking for me, sending smoke signals, pelicans circling

"SIRIUS!"

I fought back tears. "Harry—"

Harry sprinted towards the veil. "SIRIUS!"

Remus grabbed Harry around the chest, holding him back, his face completely neutral.

"There's nothing you can do, Harry—"

"Get him, save him, he's only just gone through!"

"It's too late, Harry—"

"We can still reach him—"

Harry struggled hard and viciously, but Remuus did not let go. "There's nothing you can do, Harry. He's gone."

"He hasn't gone! SIRIUS!"

"He can't come back, Harry," said Remus, his voice breaking as he struggled to contain Harry. "He can't come back, because he's d—"

"HE—IS—NOT—DEAD!" roared Harry. "He can't be! He's my only family! SIRIUS!"

I grabbed Harry's arm gently, looking around the commotion. Dumbledore had most of the remaining Death Eaters grouped in the middle of the room, seemingly immobilized by invisible ropes, Moody was trying to revive Tonks, and Kingsley was dealing with Bellatrix. "Harry... we have to go."

With his head hung, Remus and I walked him to where Neville sat quietly, his legs still dancing uncontrollably. "Was Sirius Black a friend of yours?"

Harry nodded.

"I'm sorry."

Harry didn't say anything.

"Here," said Remus quietly, and pointing his wand at Neville's legs he said, "Finite." Neville's legs fell back onto the floor and remained still.

"Thanks."

Remus nodded, his face oddly pale. He twisted his left hand and stuffed it into his pocket. "Let's—let's find the others. Where are they all, Neville?"

I couldn't help but notice that every word he spoke was laced with pain.

"They're all back there," said Neville. "A brain attacked Ron but I think he's all right—and Hermione's unconscious, bud we could feel a pulse—"

There was a loud bang and a yell from behind the dais. I saw Kingsley, yelling in pain, hit the ground and Bellatrix running away from the spells being thrown at her. Harry ripped his arm from Remus's grip and sprinted towards Bellatrix.

"Harry—no!"

"SHE KILLED SIRIUS!" he bellowed. "SHE KILLED HIM—I'LL KILL HER!"

I started running, but was quickly pulled aside by Remus.

"Pepper, no."

"But he needs me! He can't go alone!"

"Pepper, you're bleeding."

"I know," I scoffed. "Lucius Malfoy cut up my back. I need to go—"

"No," said Dumbledore's thunderous voice. "You are injured. You are to stay here to prevent further injury."

"Who are you to tell me what to do?" I snapped. "You've been gone for ages—"

"Pepper," Remus cut in gently yet aggressively. "Sit. I'll take you to the castle and patch up your back."

Dumbledore nodded. "That is for the best. I'll go retrieve Harry. Your other classmates are being transported by Portkeys I left with Moody. You and Remus will go by Portkey separately, where he'll heal you."