015. catching out

Start from the beginning

"I'm Agent Liman." A man walks up to them.

"Hi, Agent Jareau." She shakes his hand. "These are Agents Hotchner, Davis, and Reid."

"We reserved this room for you." Liman leads them into the next room that has an evidence board.

"Who named him this?" Hotch asks, seeing a paper with the name printed on it pinned up on the board.

"I did." Liman says.

"I'm gonna go get started on that memo." JJ says.

"I'm gonna help you." Spencer says.

"Yep." Bedelia nods, following them.

+++

"Whoo." JJ chuckles, rubbing her stomach. "He's kicking a lot today."

"In the third trimester, there's an average of 30 fetal movements per hour. Babies kick to explore movement and strengthen muscle." Spencer says.

"30 per-- I don't wanna do that math." Bedelia mumbles.

"Have you ever actually felt a baby kick?" JJ asks. She grabs his hand and puts it on her stomach. "You feel that?" She asks after feeling the baby kick again.

"Does that freak you out?" Spencer asks.

"No, not at all. Why? Does it freak you out?" JJ asks.

"Very much so." Spencer says, pulling his hand back. JJ and Bedelia both laugh.

"Okay." JJ laughs as her phone starts to ring and she answers it, putting it on speaker. "Hey, Garcia."

"Bad news alert." Penelope states.

"Hold on a second." Spencer says. "Guys." He calls to the others who walk in.

"What is it?" Hotch asks.

"I had Garcia look into all unsolved burglary/homicides in central California, paying particular attention to small farm towns." Spencer says.

"I found his DNA in three more cities." Penelope informs.

"How did I miss this?" Liman asks.

"Small towns don't always link their evidence up to state or national DNA databases." Spencer says.

"It can happen when unsubs cross jurisdictional lines." Hotch says.

"What are the cities, Garcia?" Emily asks.

"Tehachapi, Vacaville, and Orange Cove. All farm towns. All super far away from Highway 99."

+++

"You considering it?" Emily asks Spencer making him look at her.

"Considering what?" He asks, eyebrows furrowing.

"Having baby geniuses one day." Emily says.

Before he can answer, the phone rings and he answers it.

"Hello?"

"I've noticed that in the cities, including the new ones we've discovered, there is a spike in the sales of certain crops during the time the unsub is there." Penelope says.

"Last week of August, apples in Tehachapi. First week of September, tomatoes in Bakersfield. Second week of September, fall squashes in Fresno. Hmm?"

"So he's in town for a big harvest." Emily says.

"An unsub riding trains town to town during big harvests who doesn't have a car or permanent residence." Spencer says.

"Migrant farm worker." Emily says.