i tried to keep my eyes off of them, immediately feeling like it was a private conversation. the teens talking quietly to each other, erin looking pissed and cole looking like he was trying to brush something off. play it cool.

erin stepped forward, grabbing one of his arms. she was asking for something. but cole threw a lazy smile her way, and shook his head.

and walked right past erin collins.

i tried to look away, again, before my jaw dropped.

"'sup, ladies." he said as he sat down, "skylar." he nodded towards the only boy.

i tried to avoid erins eyes, either shocked or glaring over at us. somehow, i saw both in her eyes. soon, she spun on her heels, grabbed one of her girls arms instead, and the cheer team left monty's.

once i had gotten food in my system, the night got a lot better. of course, everyone else at the table had gotten along pretty well. skylar, knowing grace and jackie, and jackie knowing the walter boys.

i just knew jackie, so the pit in my stomach turned into dread as the hunger subsided.

but, everyone made an effort to include me. and even when i was just listening, to grace talk about some new drama i hadnt heard yet, or talk about some memories from past years i wasnt apart of, i just listened. and it was nice.

nice to be apart of something for once. nice to feel included, wanted. appreciated.

i never wanted to put myself in these situations for fear of feeling the opposite way. but this felt good.

i guess it wouldnt just be the walters that would surprise me today.

it would also be myself.

"hello?" i groggily answered the phone, sweeping my hair out of my face.

i glanced over at the small clock besides my bed, and almost screamed at the time. it was 1pm. staying at monty's last night till about nine, with only a few slices of pizza in my system, i had felt the day pulling me down like an added force of gravity. dropped grace off at her place, not getting a word in against her monologue of shock and glee from today's multiple hour long hang with two of the walter boys.

i yawned as she hopped out of the car, skipping to her front porch, and seemed to yawn all the way until my head hit the pillow. and i barely remembered that.

"cole didnt show to help with the cider cart." i rolled my eyes as i downed some water from the glass next to my bed, who knows how old it was. i honestly felt hung over, and i had never been so in my life.

"i know, i know," jackie spoke before i could, "why are we shocked." i nodded like a proud mom.

"exactly." i concluded, "im on my way."

"really?" jackie's voice squeaked, and there was silence in the line, "that didnt take much at all."

i tilted my head.

she was right. i had just voluntarily asked to do something walter related. why had i done that?

"dont make me change my mind," i said tauntingly, choosing not to think about it, and getting up to lace my converse, "i'll be there in twenty."