Chapter 6

"Choose." Cyno commanded sternly as he spread out a few different papers in front of you.

"..." You stared incredulously at the surprisingly well-structured plans placed on your desk. "Cyno, what is this?"

"I've taken it upon myself to pick out some things you and Alhaitham could do together." He explained, gesturing to each paper, "I have pinpointed which activities could be enjoyable for both of you."

"You're taking this so seriously..." You snorted, shaking your head in disbelief, "why the sudden interest in making us do things together?"

"Candidly. I would prefer it if you got along a little better, for all of our sakes." He sighed, seeming a little overworked. He's had to play peace-keeper even when it wasn't his turn to watch you. He would definitely benefit from you at least trying to get along with his co-worker, even if it only meant you wouldn't purposely pick fights.

You gave him an odd look before shifting your attention to the drawn up drafts of... "why do all of these feel like date ideas?"

"Hm?" He shifted, leaning over the desk slightly to check which ones you were referring to.

"I mean, look at these. Movies, museums, libraries?" You read over the list in an increasingly exasperated tone, "escape rooms, ice cream? Really?"

There was a small pause from him before he took the 'ice cream' option from your hands, "alright, I can see the issue with that one."

"And you don't see anything wrong with the others?"

"Do you not like escape rooms?"

"Wha? No! Of course, I love escape rooms. But with him?" You shook your head in denial. "Archons, I can already see it. 'You're doing it wrong.' 'Getting colder.' 'Also no.' and 'I can feel the IQ in this room dropping by the minute.'"

Cyno had to bite his tongue on that one, the image mildly entertaining to him due to it being extremely accurate. He could imagine the man completely refusing to take part in the puzzle-solving, knowing it was beneath him.

"We mix like oil and water, Cyno. Just leave it be." You sighed. You knew you were making the guy's life harder with this, but you could live with that over having to deal with Alhaitham for however many hours all these outings would take. "I promise I won't start fights if he stops making me want to punch him."

A deep sigh from Cyno, shortly followed by a muted chuckle, "I have a feeling he just makes you want to do that by simply existing, doesn't he?"

"Well... yeah." You pouted, looking to the side. You knew it was childish, but you just couldn't help it.

"Which is exactly why we need to make this work," he slid the non-rejected ideas to you again, "please, just think about it."

"I..." You leaned your head on your hand which was propped up on the desk, glaring at the remaining papers, "fine."

***

"No."

"Come on, Alhaitham. It's just one day." Cyno bargained, crossing his arms, "she even picked out the ideas."

"Exactly, that's why I'm saying no." Alhaitham stated, "what were the ideas anyway? Let me guess. Sneaking out of the house, getting herself in life-threatening danger and leaving me to deal with the aftermath?"

"You know that wasn't even remotely her plan." Cyno could feel the thick irritation radiating off his friend.

"Really? Couldn't tell." He seemed oddly hung up on it.