[NARRATED]

Fikani opens the door to the study, switches the lights on and sees Kurhula seated by himself. He turns them off and walks in.
‘Chief’ Fikani greets before turning the desk lamp on – putting it on the lowest setting.
‘Sho, mfo’
He pours drinks for the  both of them and hands Kurhula his. His brother reluctantly receives it but  downs it a minute later. Fikani pours him another one.
‘Still no improvement?’
Kurhula languidly shakes his head. Fikani suggests they go stand on the balcony so Kurhula can get some fresh air. He doesn’t argue.
‘I am getting tired of sitting back and doing nothing. Why don’t we contact my seer? Maybe he can help?’ – Fikani.
‘She doesn’t mix with traditional healers. I also feel like my hands are tied. I wish there was something I could do to help her but at the same time, I cannot risk making the situation worse. I hate feeling like I’m about to lose her. It drives me nuts!’
‘I completely understand. I’d feel the same’
‘Anyway, enough about me. Are you two okay?’
Fikani huffs and takes a sip.
‘I don’t know’
‘What do you mean you don’t know?’
‘I fvcked up with the whole Khensani thing and now she’s determined to destroy my marriage. She sent Mabontle a picture of her in my car and made sure that the ‘X6M’ sign on the seat shows. Luckily, I saw the message before Bontle could and deleted it.
‘Did you block her number from Bontle’s phone? If you haven’t, make sure you do. Marha na wena. Why are you attracted to chaos?’
Fikani laughs. ‘What do you mean I’m attracted to chaos?’
‘All the stories you’ve told me about your exes have some sort of psychotic element in them. Now you got married to one’
‘A what? A psycho?’ he continues to laugh. Kurhula shakes his head.
‘You’re an adrenaline junkie and it’s gonna end badly.  Then you find people who think we’re alike. I am nothing like you meh I have a brain’
‘Tsek! It just happens. I don’t go out with a sign on my forehead written “Vacant post for crazy woman. Reach out if available’’
‘You need a sea salt cleansing. This ain’t it’
‘Then there’s Uncle Albert who is adamant on making matters worse’
‘What did he do?’
‘He called this afternoon and said there’s someone I have to meet’
The eye contact gives Kurhula all the answers he needs.
‘If Bontle never finds out about her, I don’t see why not. In as much as Uncle and I disagree on a lot of things, I have to give him this one’
‘But what if this mistress starts wanting more?’
‘Nah. They never do if you keep your end of the deal. Do you see that grey and red house next to the Engen garage? Just after you make a turn?’
Fikani nods.
‘The one with pine trees next to the gate?’
‘That one. The woman who lives there was one of dad’s mistresses’
Fikani’s mouth hangs open.
‘Never reached out even during  and after the funeral. I only knew of her at the ripe age of 27, when they started letting me in on things’
‘I’ve seen a boy in that yard. Is that our brother?’
Kurhula nods.
‘Had all necessary rituals done for him but till this day, Xongi still doesn’t know about her’
‘Where are the others?’
‘I only know of three. The other two are in GP’
‘How did you feel when you found out?’
‘I wasn’t surprised. I always knew that dad was cheating on his wives. I just didn’t know who he was cheating with’
Fikani goes silent.
‘Something in me deeply yearns for his presence. I wish I had met him at some point’
‘No you don’t, trust me’ Kurhula argues.
‘Was there any commendable attribute about him? At least one? Anything?’
Kurhula sighs.    
‘Let me finish. In as much as he was all that, he never forgot to take care of his family. One thing I learnt from him is being a provider and knowing that it is my responsibility at all times. And oh, the only time his eyes lit up was when he was with Wiseman. He loved his little brother to a fault’
‘Apart from the photos in the house, do you have any other ones?’
‘If you want to see Diablo’s face, just look in the mirror bro’
Fikani laughs. Kurhula smiles into his whiskey glass.
‘Ja, you genuinely despise the guy’
‘I have spat on his grave before. If that doesn’t convince you, I don’t know what will’
‘You have no memory of him being loving towards you? Zero? Zilch?’
‘All Edward has ever seen in me was a project. I was eight when he started telling me to my face how a real man behaves. The only reason why Xongi loved Junior so much is because Edward loved him too. That woman worshipped her Satan of a husband. They deserved one another’
‘Sorry bro. I didn’t mean to scrab old wounds open’
‘Ah it’s okay. I’ll always be willing to share whenever you wonder what your childhood was like in an alternate universe’
They continue to drink in silence.
‘But you should get that behaviour under control…’ Kurhula states, while starring at the night sky.
‘What behaviour?’
‘This vase-throwing behaviour. What’s next? Boiling water?’
‘I believe I have. I can handle my wife, don’t worry about it’
‘And the mistress?’
‘The mistress neh…’ he pours himself more of their adult beverage. ‘Albert will handle all her financial needs in the meantime. Bontle is pregnant and she’s already under a lot of stress. I can’t afford to divide my attention right now’
‘See now you’re speaking like a true Mlambya’ Kurhula says and puts up his glass, Fikani almost rolls his eyes but lightly clinks it against his brother’s.