one

MUCH MISTLETOEING ABOUT NOTHING

"Any big holiday plans, Y/N?" Your boss asked as you handed her some documents to sign.

"Oh, staying in town," you answered nonchalantly. "What about you, ma'am?"

She told you about her own Christmas and New Year plans with her wife, kids, and parents with a bright smile on her face as she flipped through the pages. After giving you the signatures you needed, she handed the papers back to you.

"Can you run those over to Dr. Oh's office for me? The undergrads all went back home for break."

"Sure, no problem."

"After that, you can head out for the day. My Christmas present to you."

"Oh, thank you, ma'am."

"That, and also this." She handed you a red envelope before standing up from her desk and closing her laptop. "Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, Y/N."

"Thank you, you too," you flashed her a genuine smile. "Happy Holidays to your family as well. See you in a week."

"See you."

Tucking the envelope into your bag, you quickly tidied up your workstation before heading out of the research lab to do your final task. You were a research fellow at a rather prestigious university, and while running papers would typically be asked of the interns and undergraduate students who helped out in the lab, as your boss—the head of the lab—had already pointed out, classes let out for their Winter Break two weeks ago, so you were fresh out of fresh meat.

You pulled your scarf tight around your nose and lower half of your face as you stepped out into the chilly winter air. Dr. Oh was the Dean of Graduate Studies at the university, and you'd been to his office a couple of times before, so your feet followed a familiar path as you hurried through the cold and into the building. The air was almost oppressively hot inside, and you tore off your scarf as you ran up the stairs.

There was light pouring out from Dr. Oh's office at the end of the hall, the only one on. You poked your head in through the open door, greeted by the sight of a seemingly empty office. Must have stepped out.

Just as you had dropped the papers into his inbox on his desk, you heard footsteps at the doorway and whipped around to greet the older man, breathless smile already on your face.

Except it wasn't Dr. Oh standing there. Your greeting died in your throat as you stared at the newcomer with blatant shock.

"Oh, Y/N," Qian Kun rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. His hair was a bit longer than before, a shaggy length that covered most of his ears and neck, and he'd forgone his contacts in favor of a pair of silver wire-rimmed glasses, but there was nothing that time could do to conceal his identity from you. The way your heart dropped to your stomach as soon as he said your name was undeniable. "What are you doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" You sputtered back harshly. His PhD program was at a completely different university in the area and should have ended in the spring. What business did he have here of all places?

"I started assisting Dr. Oh last month. Uhm, sorry, I sort of thought you graduated already, or I wouldn't have interviewed for the job."

"I did graduate." You crossed your arms over your chest. "Two years ago. I'm a research fellow now."

"Of course. Well, congrats."

You let out a small noise of acknowledgement that could've also been interpreted as a cynical chuckle.

"So, did you need to see Dr. Oh? He's left the office for the year, I'm just finishing up a couple things here."

"Oh, no," you shook your head, vaguely gesturing to the inbox over your shoulder. "My research head asked me to drop something off."

Kun nodded. "Right. I'll make sure he looks it over first thing when he gets back."

"Thank you." There was a pause of tense silence, and you looked around the office uncomfortably. "So, can I go, or...?"

"Yeah, of course, sorry." He moved out of the doorway, stepping aside to clear the exit for you. "It uhm, it was nice to see you, Y/N."

"Yeah, sure."

You'd just brushed past him when he called your name out again. Against your better judgment, you stopped just short of leaving the office and turned to look at him.

"What, Kun?"

"What uh, what are you doing for the holidays? Are you going back home? Or, celebrating here with... someone?"

You weren't sure what compelled you to answer other than basic social niceties. "No. Airline tickets were crazy, couldn't find anything that would get me back in the lab in time that wasn't ridiculously expensive. All my friends are traveling, so I'll be eating ramen by myself on the couch, presumably."

You had answered his half-asked question. No, you didn't have a significant other to spend the holiday with. Just your family back home that you couldn't afford to go see, and friends who had all left town.

"Oh..." He looked down at his feet.

"What about you?" You asked pettily, fully expecting him to be visiting a significant other's family in town, flying home to see his family, something much merrier than the picture you had just painted.

"Same for me," he admitted quietly. "Plane tickets back home were so expensive... and I just left my old job and haven't really made new friends here yet. At least not ones that are on the level of them inviting me to their family Christmas."

While you wanted to be bitterly vindicated by Kun making himself as alone on Christmas as he had made you, it somehow just weighed twice as heavy on your heart. All that came out of this was two lonely people, far away from home.

"Do you... maybe want to come over? For Christmas?" Kun's hesitant proposition knocked the wind out of you.

"Why?"

"Well, neither of us have any other plans. And, I don't know, I thought it might be nice... to be with someone you know. Better than being alone on Christmas eating instant ramen, maybe?"

You took a couple deep breaths, gnawing on your bottom lip as you thought over his offer. "Fine. Christmas dinner. No presents."

He grabbed a pen and pad of sticky notes off the desk, scribbling something down. "Here's... my address. Let's say six?"

You plucked the yellow square from his fingers delicately. "Six."

"See you then."

You reached into your bag to affix the sticky note to the red envelope from your research head, then pulled your scarf back out. "See you then, Kun."