[NARRATED]

After Fikani concludes his meeting and ushers his guests out, he goes back to the study and closes the door behind him. He pulls out his phone and dials Stone’s number. While waiting for his former partner in crime to answer the phone, he takes a seat on the leather chair.
‘Big guy’ Stone answers with his voice lathered in glee.
‘Stone Cold. How are you, man?’
‘We’re still cruising outchea’ he responds in his coloured accent. ‘How’s the straight and law-abiding life treating you? I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to your coronation man. Laying low. You know how it is’
‘Don’t sweat it. Listen, I need your help’
‘Anything. Speak up’
‘I need you to get me the CCTV footage a certain shop. Only between 10h30 and 11h00, in the cosmetics aisle. I’ll send you the details’
‘What’s jumping?’
‘I need to recognise some guy. I think it’s that corrupt VL Nkwashu but I’m not sure. I need to be certain that it’s him. If it’s him, do a little digging up on how he’s related to Mabontle Motaung and come back to me’
‘Who is she? What does she do? Give me something to work with’
‘Medical doctor by profession. Sotho. Went to SMU, I think from 2016. Originally from Soweto’
‘Wait a minute broer. Isn’t that your wife? The one that grootman wanted to cima not so long ago?’
‘It is’
‘So… why don’t you ask her and hear from the horse’s mouth?’
‘That’s because the horse won’t speak’
‘Aiy man I don’t think this is a good idea. Talk to your woman, Joe’
‘Stone?’
‘Okay fine. Send the thingamajigs and I’ll get back to you’
‘My guy…’
They cut the call and Fikani sends the specifics. He decides against working when finds it difficult to think and goes out to his ‘fresh air’ spot by the river to camp there. He opens the boot and sits there by himself, listening to the birds chirping. His phone rings.
‘My beautiful wife…’ he answers.
‘Where are you?’
‘Not too far from home. What’s up?’
‘We need to talk. Please come back’
‘Okay’
‘I love you?’
‘I love you too. More than you’ll ever know’
She lightly giggles and ends the call. He throws the phone in the empty boot, sighs and continues staring ahead while popping his knuckles and slowly consuming a litre of water. After a while of sitting there, Stone eventually calls him back. 
‘Talk to me’
‘You are not going to like this…’

[LARONA]

‘Will you be okay?’ he asks after changing from his formal wear to casual. We’re back from court and now he’s arranged to go meet up with his friends who apparently live here. This air BnB seems safe. I will be fine. I nod as I pull an apron over my neck. I am making my favourite meal today. The case did not take long and luckily it was in the morning. Our client’s offense wasn’t that deep. She was arrested because of Dettol wipes, which she bought at another branch of the same store. The security was convinced that she had stolen the pack because it was still new and untouched. Luckily for her, the slip was still in another bag of hers. Her rich parents weren’t having it after she was proved innocent and now they want to sue the store. I say they must go for it. These shops are making our lives a living hell. Now we can’t use and carry around the things we buy? I feel him hug me from behind and I almost jump, then tell myself to relax. He’s not saying a word.
‘How are you planning on making this work, Kurhula?’
‘I can’t tell you in words. I can only show you that I’m capable of making it work’
Last night we just simply chatted the night away while having seafood take-aways and went to sleep early, in separate bedrooms of course. He was visibly exhausted. He’s a cool person. I judged him too soon. The arrogance is a façade. Or it could be his true character depending on who you are and how he feels about you. The way here was fun because his playlist is fire. Not more than mine though and I will prove it on our way back. I’m ashamed to admit that his touch is doing things to me right now.
‘I don’t want to be anybody’s second option’ I reply after a while of digesting his answer.
‘No one is going to come second here. I know I also didn’t want this at first. In fact, being a polygamous man has never crossed my mind before but trust me when I say I’ve seen enough of what’s NOT supposed to be done in a poly setting for me to even begin fvcking this up. I have negative experience. I know what not to do’
‘You and Kuli clearly love one another. I’ve seen it, I’ve felt it. I’m just wondering what kind of sick game the two of you are playing. If she was against this, I would understand that it’s normal human behaviour. But she’s encouraging it instead. I can’t help but distrust you both’
‘That’s because she’s not a normal human being. You can’t expect typical behaviour from her’ 
‘What is it? Do you have a snake? Are you a ritualist of some sort?’ I have to ask. He laughs out loud.
‘Are you serious?’
‘It won’t come as a shock. You’re royalty, after all. Anything is possible with y’all. And people who do those things need to sleep with multiple people’
‘Y’all? Why are you counting yourself out?’
He turns me around, picks me up and places me on the kitchen counter.
‘I know I’m portable but don’t just pick me up whenever you feel like’
I hate this because my uncle used to do it whenever he was bored. I would be minding my business and he’d just pick me up from one spot and place me in another, unprovoked.
‘I don’t know what you guys do in the North-West but please keep me out of it. You’ve said it time and time again how much you admire the type of lawyer I am but now you want to doubt my success when it suits you?’
‘I have to ask. There’s a lot that doesn’t make sense’
‘I know you want me just as much I want you. I don’t get why you won’t give in’
I look away. He goes and stands against the fridge, looking at me.
‘What’s in that pretty head of yours?’ he asks. Let me just tell him.
‘I dreamt of you too. On Friday’ I confess.
‘And you didn’t tell me this because?’
‘I didn’t feel like you needed to know. A part of me doesn’t believe in prophetic dreams’
‘What did you dream about me?’
I exhale. ‘Not necessarily you but you featured. I was with Kuli in the backyard and she was feeding a baby from a cute yellow bowl with its matching spoon. We were seated on the grass and you came along, asking to speak to the both of us. It looked serious but the dream never got to the part where you actually let us know what you wanted to talk about’
‘Whose baby was she feeding?’ he asks, with a smile.
‘Mine’
He laughs after I respond and I join him.
‘Stop it’
‘No, you stop fighting fate and destiny. You’ll never win’
I get off the counter so I can start making my yellow rice. I’d kill for some cinnamon butternut right now. He approaches and I put my hands behind me so I can balance on the counter. He cups my chin and intently looks into my eyes.
‘You’re mine, Pearl. Umbhuri ya mina wena and swinge cinci. Amukela’
‘What does that mean?’
‘What? Mbhuri?’
‘The whole thing’
‘All I’m saying is you’re my fine, gorgeous girl and that will never change so you better help yourself and accept it’
‘Leave me alone Mr man’ I laugh and push him away. He pulls me by the same hand, kisses me and all my senses scatter. His hand goes to the small of my back and I kiss him back. The balm he’s always applying is working in his favour because the texture of his lips is so soft and inviting. He cuts the French and pecks my lips.
‘Let me leave you to your little project. See you later’ he says and grabs his car keys from the table.
My nxpples are hard and I’ve lost all train of thought. I am weak…