Chapter 38: The Fifth and Final Floor

Start from the beginning

"I see..." But considering our situation, isn't it kinda...out of place?

I left Kyoko to her admiration and entered the double door across the hall. Inside was a huge garden with enormous plants. As I looked up at the tallest plant, I noticed the blue sky. Or so I thought that was the sky.

"At first I thought I saw blue skies, but turns out they just painted the walls and the ceiling!" Hiro explained. His voice made me jump slightly. "Oh, but the plants are all real. It's been a while since I've smelled vegetation. It helps me relax."

"..."

"...That's not what you're thinking, is it!? Don't you get it!? Don't you realize...the true horror of plant life!? It's there, just beneath the surface. Beneath their calm exterior, they're always watching, and waiting... And when they decide they can't leave us in charge of Earth anymore...they'll put their plan for global human extinction into action!" Hiro rambled.

"..." I stared at him expressionless.

"I'm serious!"

"...Sure..." I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to the very tall plants. Those things are super weird and super creepy! Flowers aren't supposed to get this big!

"Are they even real?" I muttered to myself.

"WATCH OUT!!!" Monokuma screamed as he popped out of nowhere.

"AAAAHHHHH!" I screamed.

"That's a Monokuma Flower. I came up with the name myself. Try and touch it, and you're in for some real excitement! Your heart's all like whoa! and the plant's all like snap! and your flesh is all like bluuuggh I'm dead!" Monokuma explained.

So it's a monstrosity then.

"It's pretty frickin' amazing, if I do say so myself! A student at Hope's Peak added improvement after improvement, and created this miracle creature! The Ultimate Botanist... Although, they don't go here anymore. They died during The Tragedy!"

That's the second time Monokuma mentioned an ultimate dying during The Tragedy...

"By the way, despite how it looks, that flower is super practical! It can eat paper, plastic, even people! So it's totally good for the environment! Such an eco-friendly creation is vital for the future growth of a healthy society! Not that I'd know anything about that myself! Ahh-hahaha!" Spouting more and more nonsense, Monokuma eventually disappeared.

Well, I better keep my distance then. I turned and began inspecting some sort of device on the side.

"It's for the sprinklers!" Monokuma appeared again and explained.

"Sprinklers?" I repeated.

"Yeah! It controls the sprinklers in the garden! The sprinklers are set to go off every morning at 7:30. Don't you dare change it without permission! Of course, the settings panel is locked, so you couldn't change it if you wanted to!" Monokuma continued.

"So 7:30 a.m. every morning, every day, right?" I recapped.

"Yup, you got it. It's super user-friendly, which sucks. So if you get here too early, you'll get drenched. So watch yourself! But you're not a little kid, right? You're too old to go running through sprinklers anyway. ...Or do you have some kind of water fetish!? I'm gonna tell everyone! Ahh-hahaha!" Monokuma laughed and disappeared again.

"I do not!" I yelled. Sighing, I walked over to the chicken coop near the panel. They seem normal, regular chickens don't eat people, or lay bombs instead of eggs, or something crazy like that.