Chapter 156: Imperial Examination (1)

It's extremely cold at high places.

Yuan Li understands this sentence more and more.

Whether they are subordinates, relatives, or friends, after Yuan Li's status becomes higher and higher, they have to think carefully about what they say in front of Yuan Li for a long time, and their actions are cautious, lest they offend Yuan Li.

A lonely man, Yuan Li had already understood these four words before he even ascended to that position.

Except for his parents and Chu Hechao, no one around him could call Yuanli by his first name. They called Yuan Li "Wen Gong" and treated Yuan Li as their monarch. Even if Yuan Li's attitude towards them is as gentle as before, they don't dare to be presumptuous.

But this is what is bound to happen.

If Yuan Li continues to joke and play with them, there will be chaos between the monarch and his ministers. Without dignity, officials will make mistakes if they are indulged, and it will be more difficult to deal with them if they exceed their limits in the future.

Yuan Li understands rationally that this is good.

But his boyhood friend had become like this, which finally made him feel a little melancholy.

The next day, Xiang Hongyun and Zhan Shaoning went to the political hall. In the afternoon, Ding Zongguang also sent to Yuanli the gift lists sent by various princes when Yuanli was granted the title of Duke.

There were four people who gave the most gifts, two of them were Dadan, the leader of North Karasuma, and Puyan, the leader of South Karasuma.

In order to show their respect for Yuan Li, the two of them sent things in the same manner, and each sent their own confidants to flatter him.

No wonder the two of them are so enthusiastic, Karasuma is now divided into two, and Gu Lichi's power has been divided by Chu Hechao, and it is no longer what it used to be. Dadan and Puyan are evenly matched, and they are hostile and wary of each other. They both want to win over Yuanli and Chu Hechao so that they can take over the power alone.

Of the five counties that were once inhabited by Karasuma people, only Shanggu County and Yuyang County remain. According to reports from the governors of these two counties, Dadan and Puyan are much more honest than before, probably because they know who they want to behave to.

Not to mention the two of them, the remaining two people were also acquaintances, it was Che Kangbo and Hui Zizhen.

As soon as he saw their names, Yuanli couldn't help but laugh. The money these two unlucky governors had sent to Yuanli now had two years' worth of cashiers in their own state.

They tried so hard to brag about Yuanli and Chu Hechao, and gave Yuanli so much money just to prove their innocence. But how could Yuanli allow them to wash away the sewage so easily?

He directly asked Ding Zongguang to send back the things sent by these two people as they were, and then asked Ding Zongguang to tell them that the gift was too expensive and he could not accept it.

This money is not as important as the "handles" left by Che and Hui.

*

Even with the help of Xiang Hongyun and Zhan Shaoning, the Political Affairs Hall was still too busy. There are not enough local officials in the counties in Jizhou. In addition, many official positions have to be replaced by people from Yuanli, so there are even fewer people available.

Not only is Jizhou short of manpower, but Bingzhou, which suffered even more from the war, is also still short of manpower. The busy officials in Bingzhou have to travel to various places to recruit famous scholars to serve Bingzhou almost every year, but it is like a drop in the bucket, and it is still not enough.