⟡ 12) Unknown Feelings ⟡

Start from the beginning

"Sir," Kunikida responds.

"Bring them back to us within three hours," the president commands.

"Understood!" Kunikida responds.

~

'What's wrong with me? Why am I feeling this way? Why do I feel guilty about not wanting to prioritize this rescue? Why do I feel like I want to save them? To save her? I'm so confused...'

'...What's happening to me?'

"Analyze the city's security camera footage! Everything from the past six hours! Oh, right!" Kunikida says into the phone, turning to Kenji and asking, "Where's the Chamber of Commerce ledger?"

'I'll just distract myself with the newspaper.'

"Here," Kenji responds to Kunikida, handing him the book.

"Oh, this won't do. This doesn't have any comic strips. Kenji-kun," I say.

"Yes?" he responds.

"Can you look into whether there are any good homicide cases nearby?" I ask.

"Sure, but the president won't be happy with you later," Kenji says, causing my nerves to tense up.

"Never mind, then," I say, feeling a little defeated.

'I'd rather not upset the president.'

"Here!" Kunikida shouts, holding onto a photo before taping it up onto the board as everyone sits down at the meeting table. I simply leaned my head back, not caring for the meeting. "This photo was provided by one of the tourists who witnessed the abduction," Kunikida says.

"That's a common type truck," the president says.

"Yes. The license plate was fake as well. But there are few places in Yokohama that can work on this kind of vehicle. After Kenji went around to all the repair shops we could think of, they were more than happy to tell us more," Kunikida says.

"The truck's owned by Karma Transit," Kenji says.

"They're mules who started off in the smuggling business," Kunikida says.

"So they can tell us where they were taken," the president says.

"Yes. They're the only ones outside of the Port Mafia who might know anything about the abduction. Tanizaki is on standby at the site. He can go in at anytime," Kunikida explains before bringing his phone to his ear. "Status update," he says into the phone.

"It's quiet, like the bottom of a lake. There are no signs of anyone. No way! We've been had. They were one step ahead of us!" Tanizaki says through the phone.

"Hey, what's the matter?" Kunikida asks.

"They were silenced. They're all dead," Tanizaki says.

"It's Akutagawa," Kunikida says.

"What are we going to do? Our only lead just went up in smoke," Yosano says.

The president then walks up to me and says, "Ranpo. It's your turn."

'Ugh, but I don't want to. Do I really have to?'

~
"It's a real honor to have you working on my case, Mr. Greatest Detective"
~

'Huh? What was that? Why did I hear Y/n's voice just now?'

My confusion must've been made visible, since the president asked me, "Are you alright, Ranpo?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine," I say, wondering why that happened.