fruits with faces

Start from the beginning

Wait, isn't he supposed to be dating Jessica Alton?

The girl behind him stepped back. "Uh, I forgot, I need to be somewhere..." and she left.

I raised an eyebrows at Tristen.

"Listen," he started before I said anything. "This, that, her... its not what you think. Just like, please don't tell Jessica."

I'm not friends with Jessica at all, nor do I care about her, but Tristen seemed desperate for me not to tell her anything. Now here's a good question: what can I get in exchange for keeping his secret?

"Sure, I won't tell Jessica," I said, and Tristen released a breath of air, relieved. "If," he tensed again. "You help me with something."

"Anything. Anything."

Wow, he'd really do anything for her. "See that thing over there," I pointed at the cage, which was covered. "I need you to take care of it all day without anyone finding out it exists. Got it?"

"Loud and clear."

"Good. Thanks... idiot." I mumbled the last words so he wouldn't hear.

That was easier then I thought.

--------------------------

"Okay, so, Mr Brightly says we just have to show up for a while." I answer Calebs question about PTM on the way to chemistry.

"That sounds easy... will they check our report cards though?"

"No idea. But, I really hope they don't. My math grades right now aren't really the best. What the fuck is multiplying and dividing fractions even for?"

He shrugged as we entered the lab.

The lesson seemed to drag on for ages, the teacher not stopping talking about displacement reactions and reactivity series and other things that had the word 'reaction' in them.

By the second period, the chemistry teacher had his eyes on the computer, the notes we were supposed to copy displayed on the smartboard.

I had my chemistry book out, but I wasn't really writing notes. I drew a few doodles on the page of fruits with smiley faces on them. The apple came out looking more like an orange then an apple.

I heard a light tap on the window and looked up from my book. No one else seemed to have heard the noise, so I glanced to the window. There was nothing. I was about to go back to my book when I heard another tap.

This time, I saw the top of Max's head, just slightly out of the chemistry teacher's line of view. She raised her hand to wave at me, causing me to stifle a laugh. Mr Evans snapped his head in my direction.

I quickly looked back down at my book, trying to play it off. Soon enough, he was back to the computer.

Max seemed to be frantically pointing towards the door. I got the hint that she needed me to leave, but I needed to know why.

Now, how do I get out of here...

Caleb seemed closest to the chemicals, and I got an idea.

~Calebs pov~

What if elephants could jump? Would we have more earthquakes? I mean elephants probably can jump. Lizzo did it-

No, Caleb. Not cool. Too out of pocket.

Better question: what if the sky was pink? I mean, who chose a color like blue? Its a pretty color, but its so basic. Or maybe it feels basic because we've had that color around for so long. If the sky was pink, we'd probably all think that pink is the plainest color in the world. But who even decided to choose blue? If you believed hard enough, could you imagine the sky being yellow or green?

I felt something hit the back of my head, knocking me out of my thoughts. It took me a while to notice, but I had zoned out and missed four slides of notes in the presentation. When I glanced at my open book, I noticed that there were only two lines with words on them.

There was another hit at the back of my head. I turned around to see that Millie had thrown an eraser at me.

"What?" I mouthed out.

She pointed to the chemicals next to me. "I need a distraction. I need to get out of here."

I looked at the multiple options next to me. Okay, that one says 'copper oxide' and its in a jar, so if I wanted to use it, I'd have to open the jar first, which would take a lot of stealth. But that one says potassium... something? The rest of the word is scratched off and I can't read it. Now, if I were stupid (or Noah) I'd use it, but i know better than mixing potassium with anything.

That one says... vel.. vid..?... vinay- oh, vinegar! Yes!

I remember being ten years old in the kitchen, with my sister, Caitlyn, mixing random stuff we found and calling it 'soup'. There was water with three whole onions and and an egg boiling on the stove. The two of us poured an entire bottle of vinegar into a bowl, sprinkled some pepper in, then Caitlyn had the bright idea of taking a wooden spoon and dumping a huge scoop of baking soda into the bowl. Long story short, we regretted it, the bowl fizzed out, mom got angry, we weren't left home alone again until I was fifteen.

And stupid Mr Evans left the vinegar out in a bowl.

Me and Caitlyn swore to mom to never put baking soda in a bowl of vinegar again. But this is different, I thought. This is a school thing.

"Sir, could I go to the bathroom?" I asked the teacher politely. I knew he would say 'yes' because Max told us that once in freshman year, a kid asked to go to the bathroom and Mr Evans said no. The kid pissed themself and had to leave the school, but at least Mr Evans was humbled.

On the way out, I quickly slipped the small sachet of baking soda. Outside the class, I ripped it open. Finally when I was back at my seat, I waited for the teachers back to turn and poured the soda in.

As expected, the bowl started fizzing.

Mr Evans stood up. "Everyone, out of the class. Now!"

A kid named Sora was coughing and searching his bag for his inhaler. As we walked out, Mr Evans was reciting the same words "Wash your hands" and "Dont touch your eyes, mouth or anywhere near your face until your hands are washed" and "Try not to breathe too deeply, the problem will be found soon".

Once everyone was out of the class, Millie stood, her hands crossed, glaring at me. "Caleb..."

"I did what you asked!"

"He has asthma, he could've died!"

"But he didn't."

She rolled her eyes and walked away.

"Wait, I don't get a 'thank you'?" I said.

"Thank you for only very nearly murdering one student instead of the whole class."

"Hey, the potassium and sodium were just within reach."

She laughed and turned a corner in the hall. Wait, am I supposed to follow her? I followed her anyway.

----------------------

A/N

I've decided my new years resolution should've been to finish stories instead of just shutting up for a whole bunch of months like a stupid bitch (btw I have like seventeen chapters written already but sadly I'm a certified gatekeeper/perfectionist so you'll get your chapters in sha allah(that means like, eventually)).