The Coin Toss Is Sacred.

Începe de la început

"Tommy for fuck sake. Using my goddamn niece again." Charlie curses, looking over at Aurora who looks ready to snap. "Here, you toss the coin, Mr Gold." I say, tossing a coin towards Aberama who catches it. He pauses for a minute before he begins to smile. "No. Please don't think this is a joke. The coin toss is sacred, yes, Ror?" I press but she doesn't answer me. "Sacred." Arthur answers for her. "You toss the coin, you take a bet before witnesses, and if I win." I begin. "We will insist that the terms of this agreement wager are fulfilled." Arthur finishes.

"Toss the coin, Mr Gold." I dare, glaring toward the man. "Tommy Shelby, OBE. No wager today. But with this penny, I will buy a flower to put on your grave. When the time comes." Aberama glares, placing the coin in his pocket. "And until it comes, please don't again disrespect my friends or their valued property. Especially not my girl." I drawl grabbing Auroras hand that she snatches away. "We missed Christmas, let's have it now. Peace of earth and good will go all men." I cheer.

Walking over to the table, Aurora grabs my arm. "You're a bastard, Thomas." She tells me grimly, shaking her head. "I didn't mean it. You know you're the only woman for me." I tell her as I pull out a chair for her to sit down at the table. "Whatever." Her words are harsh as I sit in the seat beside her, tossing an arm over her shoulder which she knocks off again. "Here Rory." Arthur says, refilling her glass with whiskey.

"Toast to my brother John. Raise your glasses, all of you." Arthur instructs to the table, his own glass in the air. Every man at the table raises his glass including Aurora. "John Shelby." Arthur toasts and everyone cheers. Aurora downs her drink, her eyes catching onto Polly, Ada and Lizzie who walk into the yard looking around in disgust.

"They act like this wasn't our lives for so long, the stuck up bitches." She grumbles and I nod in agreement. "I'm going to talk to Pol. I'll be back." I tell her and she ignores me as I get up, walking away to where Polly sat.

******

Auroras POV

That night, I found myself still sitting in uncle Charlie's yard. The Shelby's and the Lees all shouted and yelled with laughter and jokes as they continue to drink into the darkness of the cold night. I had wondered down to the dock, my feet hanging off as I stare into the ripples of water beneath my feet.

After a few drinks, I had stopped, getting a weird feeling in my stomach. My mind is still full of emotions and I don't know how to handle them. "Ror." I hear Tommy call and I roll my eyes, letting out a huff as I glance over my shoulder at him. "You haven't eaten all day. Come on, I'll get you some food, there's plenty." Tommy instructs, holding his hand out to me.

"I'm not hungry." I murmur, watching as Tommy sits down beside me. His hand grasps my thigh, as he himself looks down into the water below us. "I can't understand how hard it is for right now for you considering you've lost your best friend but Ror, if you don't start looking after yourself, you'll perish. Polly says she hasn't seen you eat in days." Tommy confronts, reaching into his pocket for a Cigarette.

"I said I'm not hungry, you can't make me eat Thomas. I'm completely fine." My words are harsh, my mood solemn. "You've done this before, Ror. You stop eating when everything goes bloody wrong and it's not fucking good for you." Tommy grumbles against his cigarette. "Fuck you, tommy. You get drunk and smoke twenty cigarettes an hour - when the fuck do you eat, eh? Don't fucking start with me." I grumble taking the cigarette from his lips and placing it between my own. "I don't need to listen to you being a hypocrite. Not on a day like today."

"Baby, please. Talk to me." He urges, tilting my face towards him. I shake my head, pulling my head back from his grasp as I drag on his cigarette. "What's there to talk about? John's dead. He died for me. You offer me to other men while wanting their daughters." I say, trying to play it off but the tears gathered in my eyes are a dead give away. Tommy leans forward, taking my hand in his, but I pull away.

"Baby, I didn't mean it. I swear. I haven't looked at any other woman since I was fourteen, since the day I met you. I just said it because I knew it would get him to think twice." Tommys words are soft as he tries to pull me under his arm. "And I'm so sorry." He adds.

I sit up, staring at him through my tear filled eyes. "I got you both into this mess and look what's happened. John saved you, Ror. He's dead. You could have died. Michael could have died. He's my brother and I love him but if it was you who died, I'd never recover. If I could change my place for his right now, I would. I'm the only person to blame. Not you. Never you." He tells me and I shake my head. "I can't do this without him. He's always been with me through everything." I say quietly.

"Listen, we've got a lot of work to do. A lot that we're going to need each other for. We need to stick together. Me and you." He tells me, his hand coming up to brush against my cheek. "I'm really sorry for everything I've put you through." He tells me and I nod.

"Oi! You two!" I hear Arthur yell making me chuckle softly. I glance over my shoulder and see Arthur dragging Finn behind him. "Stop stealing our Ro. We were looking for her." Finn slurs, pouting his finger at Tommy who raises his eyebrows in amusement.

"Tom was riding Aurora while you were still a toddler. I don't think she's yours, Finn." Arthur corrects, shoving Finn playfully who's cheeks burn in embarrassment. "Arthur!" I scold, glaring at Tommy who laughs. "It's the truth. She's a screamer." Arthur courses. "Oh my god! The fuck Arthur? I don't want my little brother to know that." I say standing up as I shake my head. "We are not talking about sex right now. Finn, come on." I say pushing the boy forward as I walk away from a laughing Tommy and Arthur.