Stay, sober me up

A\N: This is my second Motive story, it's a slight sequel to Exhaustion reveals secrets a story I published last year but can be read as a standalone. Enjoy, Angels.

Boston Homicide detective Oscar Vega is in the middle of a case when his cell phone vibrates in his pocket, alerting him to a new phone call. He smiles when he sees the caller is his wife. He puts a finger to Angie as he answers his wife's call.

Phone call:

Oscar: Hey babe, I was thinking of an at home date night tonight when we're both done with work.

Unknown: Is this Oscar?
Oscar: Yes, who are you and why the hell do you have my wife's cell phone?

Unknown: I'm Tom, bartender over at Serpents bar. Your wife is drunk, are you able to come and pick her up?

Oscar (Sighs): Yeah, give me ten minutes, thanks man.

Tom: No worries.

Phone call

He sighs as he puts his phone in his pocket and puts on his coat. "Betts is at a bar, drunk, I'll be out the rest of the day." He quickly tells Angie before he runs out of the bullpen and to the garage to his car, driving to the bar where his wife is. He thought his wife was still in the morgue performing the autopsy on their victim but she left work to go to a bar! What is she doing at a bar in the middle of the day, drunk when they have a huge case to solve? He asks himself.  Cases involving children are always the top property at the precinct, every detective wants to solve it, to get justice for the victim and their family. So why, why, has Doctor Rogers left early to go bar hopping? 

Oscar shakes his head as he gets into the car, pulling out of the parking garage. He can ask his wife why when he picks her up and gets her home and sobers her up. She won't answer any questions, at least not truthfully, while she's drunk.

Serpents is a bar he, Betty and Angie frequent after a hard case, so that's his first clue to something's not quite right with his beautiful wife. Correction, his first clue was that his wife left work early without telling anyone and went to a bar where she's currently drunk at 12:30 in the afternoon. 

He parks in the bar's parking lot, a few cars down from where his wife has parked, confirming what Tom told him about his wife being here.

He enters the dimly lit bar and immediately spots his wife at the bar, toying with half a glass of drunk white wine in front of her, and by the way she's holding herself up, it's not her first or even her third glass. He shakes his head as he puts a hand on her dress covered back, alerting her to his presence. He gives Tom a nod of thanks as his wife looks over her shoulder, a drunken smile gracing her red coloured lips. "Hi babe." Betty says, giving him a kiss. He can practically smell the wine on her breath and taste it as he pecks her softly on the lips. He's never seen her like this. She pulls away from him and goes to pick up her glass but his hand on her wrist stops her. "Come on, Betts, we're going home." Oscar says as he helps her off the bar stool, his wife pouts as she slips her coat on, tying the belt clumsily at her waist. Oscar grabs his wife's purse and wraps an arm around her waist, leading her out of the bar to the parking lot and helping her into the passenger seat of his car. They'll come get her car tomorrow.

The drive back to their house is silent, both husband and wife are thinking of different things. Oscar can't figure out what would cause his wife to go day drinking, alone, in the middle of a case, he just can't think of a reason why and it's driving him nuts. His wife has her head on the widow, her eyes closed. He doesn't know what's going on with her and it's scaring him. He knows she's had a few nightmares about her so-called 'mother' but they wouldn't cause to go and drink in the middle of the day without telling him or Angie or at least security so he knows where they know where she is if they need her. He shakes his head as he stops at a red light, his eyes going directly to his sleeping wife. He'll ask her later when she's had some sleep. The light turns green and the detective starts driving home.