Chapter Three

Gemma's dim figure could be seen in a distance when Harry's car gradually approaches to the front garden. Harry takes a deep breath and practices a wonderful grin while parking his car. He is happy to meet his elder sister, really. But it isn't easy for him to come up with any relevant conversation after purposely avoiding his family for 5 years.

Fortunately, the reunion isn't as awkward as he supposed it would be. Gemma gives him a warm hug right after he gets off the car. "You're finally here." She leaves a kiss on his cheek excitedly, "How was the trip? Do you still remember the roads? I was even thinking that you'd end up in Texas or Louisiana!"

I was hoping so. Harry swallows his thought and smiles, "Really? You genuinely think 5 years were enough to wash out my memories?" Harry tosses his keys in the air, catching them with the other hand then facing at Gemma again. "Hey...you were born here, Gemma. You knew the sorcery."

"You make it sound like a curse, young boy." Gemma narrows her eyes, giggling at his joke.

"Well, you can't deny that." Harry tilts his head and looks around the old house he used to spend his childhood in. The mottled walls carved by age still keep the doodles made by Niall and him when they were little. Harry remembers running around the house with his mother chasing madly behind because of those naughty marks, until he tripped himself over and smashed some handicrafts onto the floor. He was grounded for three weeks afterward.

"Where's Lorie?" asked Harry.

Gemma shoots an admonitory glare at him, "You're supposed to call her Mom, Harry... She's still at the restaurant. Don't give me that look-she needs to arrange the tasks in the kitchen before she leaves for honeymoon, savvy?"

Harry ignores her, flashing his headlights with the car remote. Gemma rolls her eyes, crossing her arms at her little brother, "C'mon Harry, she misses you a lot. I'm sure they'd be back in a couple hours-"

"They?" Harry frowns, locking the car lamps at the high-beam position.

"Our soon-to-be stepfather, Mr. Khaleel Malik. Haven't I told you already in the call?" Gemma raises one hand to block the light, creasing her eyebrows, "And his family too-"

"Hold there, he has a family?" Harry interrupts again in a louder tone.

Gemma jerks the front door open and turns at Harry impatiently, "Yes, a family. Don't act as if our mom doesn't have one, please. They came here from Illinois. Mr. Malik has a son and three daughters." She raises three fingers to the air, "so for the sake of our mother- be kind to our new siblings ok?" She sighs as Harry shrugs off her scold.

"Illinois? How did they even meet in the first place?" Harry lowers his arm, turning off the lights eventually.

"I don't know," Gemma shakes her head, "I got a stylist job last autumn, after that I've been busy and rarely keeping up with Mom. I was as surprised as you were when I heard about the engagement."

Harry snorts at her answer, "Are they seriously gonna get married? I mean, we don't even know if Lorie actually divorced with Dad."

"How 'bout you ask Mom in person." Gemma replies, digging her finger to his chest. "You hungry? Maybe I can make you some dinner before they come back," She says nodding towards the kitchen, "Although you know that's not my forte..." she adds with a little smile. "Maybe you'd rather walk around instead? I'm sure you've missed this place."

"Yeah." Harry can't tell if that is a lie, "But I'd rather take a short break first. Just call me if you need help." He throws his bag upon his shoulder, squeezing through the doorway to avoid Gemma's questioning look at his casual baggage.

"How long are you planning to stay?" Gemma hollers before he scurries upstairs. Harry doesn't answer.