vii. gift genius

"Okay, let's talk about the gifts for your friends," Holly said as she took a bite of her perfectly made spinach ricotta ravioli

After their honest coffee session, Max and Holly decided to grab a late lunch in a near Italian restaurant. Holly had to admit that the small delay of her family wasn't that bad after all—she didn't have to rush, and she could buy everything in peace without stressing out.

And even though she didn't want to admit this after a half of this day, she didn't want to say goodbye to Max yet. He was nicer than she had anticipated.

"I hate buying gifts. How the hell am I supposed to know what they want?" Max murmured, his inner Grinch waking up from a momentary coma.

"Well, it's the thought that matters. You talked about the lawyer Daddy Addy, right?" A soft chuckle escaped Holly's lips when she mentioned the nickname. "What about some business bag? I'm sure you can also engrave her initials," Holly suggested.

Max lifted one of his eyebrows, thinking for a second. "That's actually a very good idea."

"I told you I'm a gift genius," Holly shrugged with a smile on her cherry-painted lips. "Who else is going to be there?"

"Her boyfriend Charles. I have a gift for him, though."

Holly tilted her head. "Really? What did you get him?"

"A Red Bull hoodie. He's gonna love it," Max smirked playfully, and Holly frowned a little.

"Why would you buy him a hoodie with energy drink?"

Max widened his eyes in shock. She really had no idea. "Well, Red Bull is also a Formula One team."

"Oh, I don't watch that. I think that my brother Wes watches it, but I don't," Holly shook her head, clearing her mouth with a napkin. "I don't know why would anyone watch stupid cars going in cirles."

When Max started coughing as his food probably got stuck in his throat, Holly immediately got up to pat on Max's back. She handed him over a glass of water, and after that, Max seemed fine.

"Are you okay?" Holly asked with concern. God, she didn't want to call the ambulance and spend the rest of her (not so) perfect Christmas Eve in a hospital.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Max nodded. "The sport is not as boring as you think," he said.

"Maybe," Holly shrugged. She didn't really care about some cars. Yes, she enjoyed driving—in her grandma style while listening to her favorite playlists. But watching cars going in circles? Meh.

"Anyway, my other friends will be there. Pierre and Hazel," Max decided to completely omit the Formula One topic. "They used to date for a while," he added.

"Oh, why did they break up?"

"I'd say they're the type of right person, wrong time. I think they still love each other. They still hang out as friends a lot," Max explained. Pierre and Hazel—their relationship had been a whirlwind of drama. But Max still believed that they would find way to each other again.

"That's sad," Holly let out a sigh. "Maybe some Christmas miracle will help them," she said with a smile on her lips.

She was a hopeless romantic. The Holiday (and tons of other romantic movies she would cry at) made her believe that everyone was destined to have an epic love story, and it didn't matter when or where it appeared.

"Not the Christmas miracle again," Max rolled his eyes, but then he chuckled.

"Well, what does Pierre like? And Hazel?"

"Hazel is a fashion designer, so anything fashion-related. And she's also a sucker for adventures. Pierre is very similar," Max responded.

"What about some adventurous experience? Bungee jumping?" Holly was thinking aloud. Maybe if these two were similar and still had love for each other, this could be their Christmas miracle! "And give them some gift voucher. They'll go together, and who knows? Maybe it'll help them sort things out."

"You're a genius, do you know that?" Max breathed out, watching the blush appearing on Holly's cheeks adorned by the adorable dimples.

In the end, he was glad that Holly was spending this day with him. He was terrible at giving gifts and somehow, Holly always knew what would make his friends happy, even though she didn't know them at all.

And yes, somehow she made this horrible day less insufferable.

Maybe, just maybe, he enjoyed this day a little.

────────────────

i'm here with a new chapter! <3
also.. did i just hint something from illicit affairs?.... sorry

even after the horrible events that happened yesterday (if you don't know, simply google what happened in Prague and you'll see...), i want to spread happiness to you. <3

take care!!
love, zu 🫶🏻