"Wonderful, then." Mother picks up the menu, perusing it comfortably. "I suppose I should have invited Mitch, too, but he seemed a little busy today."

"Uh, I do need to ask you, if you, you know, know anything about what happened w-with the news leak...about Mitchel?"

Looking over the top of the menu, her brow furrowed, Mother answers with a wide-eyed expression. "Why would I know anything about that, darling."

Letting out a frustrated sound, I lean an arm on the table towards her. "I can't believe that. I know you and Mitchel have your differences, but please tell me you didn't do something...irreversible to his career?"

Finally, Mother drops the act. Setting the menu aside, she gives me a stern look. Chiding me, she says, "You sound like a child, Skyler. Mitch Wild got himself into his problems. It's my job to ensure you aren't muddied with him."

"Did you really do it?" My whisper comes out half-screeched.

"I told you, Mitch Wild did it to himself. There is nothing in the news yet that isn't true."

"Yet?" I question, dumbfounded. "What have you done?"

"That's enough now. Shall we order?"

"Order-" My voice cuts off hoarsely.

Mother goes to signal the waiter. "Do you want to get the steak salad? You like that here."

Shaking my head jerkily, I stand up, bumping the table harshly as I do so. What was I expecting?

"I-I have to go."

"Skyler!"

I get my unsteady feet moving and nearly run into Kate as she returns. "I'm sorry, I have to leave."

Striding out, the restaurant's noise blurs the sound of Mother calling me.

I stalk through the lobby, out the front door, and into the sunshine. My teeth are clenched so tightly that the ticking in my jaw feels like a sledgehammer. Filling my lungs with the fresh air, I bypass the valet and pace down the sidewalk.

I make it to the corner and turn around, only to stop, hands clenched at my sides, glaring back at the hotel.

Digging my phone out of my pocket, I call Eric.

"Hey." He answers right away.

"I think I messed up again."

"Again?" Eric asks sarcastically. I can picture him sitting in front of his work, smiling at his foolish big brother. "I thought you were supposed to be the smart one."

"Get serious. I walked into one of Mother's ambushes." I pass back and forth over one square of the sidewalk.

"And? You're a goddamn grown man. Just leave."

"No, it's not about me. It's about Mitchel."

"He's there, too?"

"No, he's probably in his press conference right now." I sigh, stopping and rolling out my shoulders.

"So, he's dealing with the press, and you're eating lunch with our family instigator?"

"And Kate."

"Your ex? The fuck is wrong with you?"

I run my free hand through my hair, pulling at the strands. "It wasn't my choice. Mother used Kate, and I think she's going to strike at Mitchel."

"Alright, let me think." I hear Eric tapping his pen rapidly on his desk. "Okay. You have an Instagram account now, right?"