"so much for thinking about it." i grumbled, and finally gave in and half jogged with her.

"jackie!" she yelled down the hallway, and the girl looked at us, puzzled.

"i have great news." tara said in between breaths, "you have a free period this afternoon, right?" 

"yes." jackie said hesitantly. it was then i noticed she still had her hood on, and it was pressed firmly against her scalp. only a little bit of hair showed, enough to see that her hair was not just raven black anymore. 

"well, so does harper." tara placed her hand firmly on my shoulder, and i awkwardly smiled, "she is going to be advising you, helping you through your transition here in any way that she can."

i nodded, "nice to see you again, jackie. im happy to help." i tried to mean every word, "did you dye your hair?"

jackie's eyes widened, but then dropped. sighing heavily, she tore the hood off her head, showing long streaks of messy blonde hair down her head, "no." she grumbled, showing her shame, "the boys pranked me this morning."

it took tara and me a long time to speak.

"well," tara put on a gentle voice, putting her hand over mine, still holding my beanie that i had taken off upon entering the school hallway, "perhaps your bonding could start with a hat, yeah?" she gave me eyes, and i gave her much nastier ones.

but fixed them quickly. tara was right, the girl needed help. i extended my arm, and jackie looked as if she would cry, "of course."

jackie gleamed at me, bouncing on her toes. and somehow, her sudden excitement made me feel a little better.

"so, whats with this advising thing you have to do again?"

jackie asked me as we sat down in the extra room in the guidance office wing. it was the room i usually had my lunch in with tara, being extra it was only used for meetings with students or form the GoPP club, "is it something you can sign up for or get extra credit for?"

just talking to jackie for ten minutes, i learned that she had much higher aspirations and drive than all the girls in this school combined. she wasnt meant for silver falls high.

"lets focus on things youre interested in to add to your resume." i looked over her transcript from her old school back in new york, which displayed all A's and a whole page worth of extracurriculars and clubs, "if there are any left."

"princeton desires the best of the best." she nodded professionally, and i bit my lip. 

i could have my own opinion about who she was, or who she was tied to, but i needed to help her in any way that i could. she was right to think colleges were looking for the biggest and brightest.

"well, theres an opening for a volunteer on the student council, room 1620." i watched as jackie took out a penpad and scratched some notes down, "two oclock." this girl was on it, meticulous. i raised my eyebrows, "and you'll need the president of the council to approve it." i let my words falter a bit at president, and jackie raised her eyes to meet mine without moving her head, showing her intrigue.

"which would be?"

"erin collins." i cringed, remembering what had happened in the parking lot yesterday. the girls were already in some bad blood, and it was jackie's second day.

knowing who jackie was, she would come into this student council with fire and passion, and erin would see her as a threat. as competition. two things she already was for something- someone- else. 

"youre joking."

i bit my lip before starting my next idea, seeing cross country awards in her past, "she's also captain of the track team, and daughter of the coach." i put down jackie's file, bouncing my eyes between it and her a few times, "tryouts are on thursday."

jackie groaned, and i frowned for her.

"whats her deal anyway?" jackie whined, "its not my fault im here. living with the walters. and i dont want to steal cole from her, or whatever she thinks is going on." her hand shooed the whole idea of it away, "why did i have to enter this school and be forced to be surrounded with the queen of drama?!" i laughed, which she probably thought was pointed at her words, but it was pointed at the irony of them.

that i was feeling the exact same way.

"the thing about girls like erin is they dont care. whether you want them or not, the walter boys take any girl they want." i leaned back in my chair, "and bets are about 70% of the walter brothers want you."

jackie cringed, straightening her blazor, "no. no. absolutely not. i need to focus on getting out of here and going to princeton. like my father. boys are not an option." i could see true passion behind her eyes, but i felt like doom was inevitable for someone living with a different walter boy any direction they turned to. 

"then we'll work on it. thats what im here for." i offered her a reassuring smile, "ive been here for eighteen years, and have never dated, wanted, or spoken to a walter boy." i laughed, "im a real abnormality here, youll learn, though."

she laughed at me, "yeah, im beginning to understand." 

there was a moment of silence, and jackie began playing with the drawstrings on her hoodie.

"so, speaking of your father," i leaned forward on the desk, putting on my best councilor mask, "how are you dealing with the transition?" i took a breath, "and just everything."

jackies lips got tight and thin, and she took a breath too.

"im okay." she nodded, "i mean, going from an all girls prep school to a public high school and living with a family of fourteen," she took a bigger breath, "its a lot."

i nodded, "how about with your family. tell me about them."

"it was a car accident." she said, apparently jumping right into the thick of it, "i wasnt there. but its something i dream about every night." she looked scared.

"nightmares?" she just nodded, "that can make transitions harder." i nodded with her.

"so can preppy girls who hate me for no reason." she sighed, looking longingly at her new york hat that was sitting on the table in front of her.

"erin has had a long reign here at silver falls," i looked jackie in the eye, "but i think she felt a bit of it crumble when you didnt let her trample over you yesterday." there was a glimmer of a smile in jackies eyes, "just keep being stronger than her, and you will be just fine."

"okay," jackie sat up, looking much better.

"and again, this is what im here for. not just scholarly help," i leaned over and took her hand in mine, "but emotional as well."

and just like that, she was gleaming again, "thank you harper."