Chapter Forty-Seven

Comincia dall'inizio

"I can't make Wade get into a fight. It's just a coincidence," Oliver says, but he's lying, I can tell. He's not even a little surprised by this news.

"You did something, pulled some string, for someone to provoke him," Brandi presses. "I know you did."

"B, all that matters is he's not getting out," Oliver says. "Not yet anyway. It was just a fight, so who knows how long this delays things... let's take the win and celebrate the fourth; it doesn't matter how this happened."

"It matters," she says, then throws her arms around him. "It matters."

I can feel her emotion like it's physical because it's so heavy. Oliver saved her, just like he did me... I'm happy for her, right? I'm supposed to be, so why does this all feel so ...weird?

"I'm going to tell Stephanie the news and– Kinz, get in line for daiquiris. I need to celebrate ASAP!"

"On it!" I agree.

"I'll see you all there. I need to make a quick call," Oliver says and heads out the front door. I stare after him with a puzzled look. How did he make Wade get into a fight? When did my little nerdy Olly become so powerful and heroic?

"Kinz..." Billy's voice pulls me from my thoughts, and I look at him. "Y'all aren't kids anymore. Get out of their way."

"Wha–?"

He ducks off down the hallway, leaving me hanging with that.

***

"I love ribs!" Harley declares with a huge grin, his entire face coated in thick red barbeque sauce, and all of us are laughing at the sight.

"Me too!" Hunter smiles at the boy as he digs back into his own ribs. Harley's plate is nearly identical to Hunter's. Everything his daddy wanted, he wanted too. It's just adorable.

"They are some good ribs, aren't they, Harley?" I ask.

"Yes, ma'am!" Harley agrees with a mouthful of food, making us all laugh.

It's surreal: Hunter, Oliver, me, Brandi, Billy, Stephanie, Johnny, and Harley are all eating at a table together. I'd never have imagined this happening. Brandi is elated, beyond, already in full party mode.

Even Stephanie seems to be in a light mood, and she's doing okay so far being out in this big crowd. Billy is always right there next to her, and I notice the little comforting touches he gives her and the way she leans into him for support. I can't imagine how hard it was for her to be without him for all these years.

"Me too, little man," Billy says. "I dreamed about the Spencer's ribs. They lived up to the memory."

"I've been trying to get the sauce recipe for years; they'll never give it up," I say.

"Johnny can help with that," Stephanie says with a soft smile towards the shy kid. He's sitting slumped over, his curly chestnut hair hanging in his eyes. He looks so much like Billy, but he's so shy and awkward and does not have any of that Benson attitude his sister has. "Can't you, Johnny?"

"Maybe," Johnny says with a shrug.

"Stop being modest, Johnny. He's a total foodie. He can taste it and probably figure out exactly what's in it," Brandi says.

"That's impressive, man!" Billy says, and Johnny simply shrugs again.

"If you can crack that sauce, we make ribs and beat the Spencers!" Brandi suggests.

"You can't just copy their sauce!" Stephanie laughs out loud, and Johnny finally cracks a smile.

"I can make a better sauce than this," Johnny says.