}•{ His efforts

Start from the beginning

Aakarsh shrugged, "I can,"

}}}}}}•{{{{{{

"Happy birthday," Vardhaan exclaimed as he entered the hotel room after two hours he gave her time to relax and thankfully she looked a lot calmer now.

Ishani glanced at him from the corner of her eyes as he kept the cake down in front of her.

She looked away not paying him attention as he came in front of her and gave her the knife to cut the cake.

"Mrs. Rathore cut the cake," he whispered as she threw the knife on the table and turned to go without saying a word.

He was trying his best to cheer her up so that her mind would wander away from the incident and as it was her birthday, he decided to bring her a cake but she seemed very adamant about not cutting it.

"Cake--" he held her hand to stop but was cut off when she hastily picked the knife from the table and stabbed the cake in the middle numerous times, destroying it completely and making him speechless.

He swallowed heavily as he looked away. Maybe it was a bad idea altogether.

He was trying his best to not lose his shit as she had been going through a lot and understanding her was difficult from the start and now it was even more difficult.

He was never a very patient man and she was always testing his patience.

And for some reason, he didn't want to stress her more so he chose to turn and walk away but halted hearing her sigh,

"I'm sorry. Get it distributed among the needy children,"

He was astonished at her apology and turned back to face her and there she was standing with no expression on her face as she looked at the now-ruined cake that was still edible.

Why was she behaving so differently?

First the apology and now the straight face that didn't have any glare for him.

He still tried his best to get on her nerves to get a reaction out of her,

"Never knew cake is supposed to be cut like this, Mrs. Rathore,"

Instead of a usual sarcastic retort, all he got was a sigh, "Not everyone likes to celebrate their birthday, Vardhaan,"

"I don't care about anyone else but what's your reason?" He questioned being the certified jerk he was letting her know that other people's misery didn't affect him at all and she couldn't help but roll her eyes at him and he hid his smile, he at least got that!

"If you're contemplating to tell me or not, I already know enough but not enough to know the entire thing so you better tell me everything before I assume leftover things on my own," He told her plainly as if he wasn't dying from inside to listen to the truth from her mouth.

She thought over it for a moment and replied, "I was born on that day and that's enough for me to hate it,"

"Watched too many bad boys movies, dear wifey?" He mocked at her plain response knowing she was just making up excuses.

She didn't reply and reached out for her phone but he didn't let her as he snatched it from her and threw it across the couch and before she knew it, she was pinned against the same couch falling back on it.