Eventually, Kimmy heard Kayla talking to Ben on the phone suggesting going out to eat somewhere since both Kimmy and Mary had a rough day.

The whole way to the house, Kimmy remained in the same position, watching the passing scenery change from shopping centers and suburbs to desert landscapes, then back to suburbs again. A few times, all she could see were walls that lined the on-and-off ramps of the freeway. At one point, a highway patrol car parked on the side caught her line of vision while giving someone a ticket. According to Stella, a lot of people in Arizona do not know how to drive.

Kayla parked in front of the driveway to wait for everyone else to come out.

Kimmy felt tired, but she also felt hungry and hoped wherever they were going had good food she liked.

Miguel was the first outside and climbed back there with Kimmy since his booster seat was still there. "Are you okay, Kimmy?" he asked once the boy of climbed into his seat and was pulling down his seat belt.

She nodded for him.

Miguel had brought along a long, striped plush snake Kimmy remembered seeing in the loft among the toys. He held it towards her face but not too close, pretending to scare her. She didn't know much about snakes but Kimmy was pretty sure they didn't growl like a lion.

During the drive to the restaurant, Miguel seemed to be trying to cheer her up and held her hand while they crossed the parking lot to the restaurant.

There was a brief wait outside until there was a table ready big enough to fit their group. Having been there before with Ben and Kayla, Miguel assured Kimmy the restaurant was a buffet and had really good food and she could pick out whatever she wanted.

"You won't even have to tell anyone what you want. Kayla helped me because I'm little, but you can probably get whatever you want yourself," Miguel explained while sitting sideways on the bench to fully face her. His hands were flat down in front of him.

Kimmy listened while staring at the sidewalk, holding onto the bench in both of her hands.

Once their party number was called, the group headed inside. Their waitress led them to their table first and at least took the drink orders. Ben stayed behind first while the others went to grab their first plate.

Having never been to a buffet-style restaurant, Kimmy was a little hesitant to grab her food, even after Miguel had explained what it was like and followed them. It was true there was lots to choose from and it did not matter how much she could take.

Kimmy grabbed a little of the popcorn shrimp and chicken tenders, along with mashed potatoes and a few barbeque rib pieces. Kayla made sure to grab plenty of napkins and handed Kimmy a fork before they returned to their table. The girls were already back, eating their plates so Ben had gone to grab his.

When he returned, Ben ended up sitting across from Kimmy, complimenting her on her selections.

"Save room for seconds," he told her with a friendly wink. "Or dessert." Ben nodded behind her. The dessert options were some of the best he had, eating out at restaurants. "I don't normally get dessert except when we come here."

Like the movies, Kimmy's family didn't go out to eat much either and usually ordered in. Ben and Kayla didn't take the kids out to eat often. At least not together like this. It was only a few nights over the last couple of months.

Still, this was more than she had experienced at home.

Kimmy didn't go back for seconds. Instead, she grabbed a few different cookies and a brownie. She got some of the chocolate pudding and dipped the cookies in it. It must have been a great idea, because when Miguel went back for dessert, he got pudding and cookies, too.