Chapter 14 - Ted

3rd Person

"Mike! We're home!" Karen's voice echoed out, and Mike's eyes narrowed in confusion.

"U-Uh, you're home early?" He got up to go and see them, very confused.

"I know, your grandad had something to do so we decided to just come home early." Karen explained as she carried Holly into the living room, her eyes widening as she looked at the four boys in front of her.

"What are you all doing here?" She questioned, frowning slightly.

"I invited them over." Mike told her, giving her a stupid grin. Karen scoffed and shook her head, grinning slightly.

"God, next time ask me!" She scolded, and he just rolled his eyes.

"Yup, will do." He nodded.

"Anyway, I think you lot should get going. It's almost lunch anyway and I'm sure your parents will be wanting you home." Karen told them, and they all nodded.

"What! Can't they stay a little bit longer?" Mike pleaded with Karen as the threw boys went down to the basement to gather their things.

"No, sorry sweetheart." Karen shook her head as she set Holly down on the counter next to her bags, the young girl grinning as she played with the doll her mum bought her.

"Why?" Mike whined, sitting up on the counter as well.

"Because I said so, Michael. Plus, your dad wants to speak to you about Will anyway." Karen told Mike, and he felt his heart drop.

"Wh-.. Okay." He muttered, hopping off of the counter and going to see how his friends were doing.

They had all packed their bags and they were all changed back into their normal clothes, apart from Will who was still getting changed in the bathroom. Mike walked over to the bathroom and knocked on the door softly.

"Yeah?" Will called out.

"Are you almost done?" Mike questioned, and he heard a small click and the door unlocked, revealing Will.

"Yep." He grinned, holding a small bag in his hands.

"Cool, are you alright biking home?" Mike asked him as he moved out of the way to let Will walk past.

"Yeah, sure." Will nodded, grabbing his other bag and following the two other boys up the stairs.

They all went out and into the front garden to grab their bikes, and Dustin and Lucas said their goodbyes, leaving the two boys stood together.

"You're sure you don't mind biking home?" Mike made sure, and Will laughed softly.

"I'm sure, you don't need to worry." Will laughed, grabbing his bike and grabbing his helmet.

"If anything happens you know you can come straight over to my house, yeah?" Will made sure as he looked up at Mike.

"Yeah, I'll call you later tonight." Mike nodded, leaning down and giving Will a soft kiss.

"Alright, I'll talk to you later." Will grinned, his cheeks heating up from the kiss.

"Bye!" Mike laughed softly as Will began to cycle off, the smallee boy giving him a quick wave.

He walked back inside of the house and closed the door behind him, walking into the kitchen where he saw his mother and father both stood there.

"Mike. I think we need to have a chat about that Byers kid." Ted sighed as he looked up from his newspaper.

"Why?" Mike asked, confused on what was wrong.

"Listen, I know he's your best friend and all but I don't want him to.. infect you with that disease he's got." Ted's face scrunched up in disgust as Mike's face only became even more confused.

"What- Disease? What are you talking about?" He frowned, still incredibly confused.

"I think he's queer, Michael. And I don't want him doing some weird queer stuff to you." Ted grimaced, and Mike's eyes widended.

"What!? Dad you can't say that about him!" He gasped, and Ted's face began to fill with anger.

The front door clicked open and Mike turned around to see Nancy walking in, but his dad didn't care and continued to talk about Will.

"I don't want you seeing him anymore, Mike. I don't want him to turn you into a queer." Ted shook his head, the anger evident in his voice.

"What!? Are you insane? Of course I'm gonna continue to see him!" Mike scowled, and Karen tried to step in.

"Can you both calm down a bit-" She tried, but was cut off by Ted yelling.

"I don't care! I'm your father and I've said no! That's final!" Ted yelled down at Mike, and Holly burst into tears.

"Hey, hey, it's okay sweetheart." Karen picked her up and covered her ears, gently kissing her forehead. Karen brought Holly out of the room while Ted continued to yell at Mike.

"By the looks of things that kid's already made you into a queer! I will not have a fucking queer as my son!" Ted fired, and Mike's eyes widended.

"Yeah he fucking has! So what i-" He yelled back, and before he even realized what was happening he felt a sharp pain on his cheek.

"Get out of my fucking house!" Ted screamed down at him, and Mike was stood in shock.

"Dad you can't just kick him out?" Nancy's voice came from behind him.

"I can do whatever I damn want to! Now get out before I get you out myself!" Ted screamed down at Mike.

Mike nodded shakily, his breath becoming uneven as he tried not to cry.

"I'm sorry.." He muttered under his breath as he began to walk away.

"Mike, come on-" Nancy tried, but Ted cut her off.

"You try to make him stay one more time and your leaving with him." Ted warned her.

Nancy glared at her father, before turning towards Mike who was leaving the house, and she wrapped her arm around her brother and walked out of the house with him. She brought him over to her car and they both got in.

"You wanna go to Will's?" She offered, and Mike nodded softly, not able to speak at the moment.

As they were driving, Nancy looked over at Mike and scanned his face, he was just staring down at his hands.

"Are you okay?" She looked down at her younger brother who seemed to be on the verge of tears. He shook his head softly, a small tear rolling down his cheek.

"Oh, Mike.." She sighed as she looked down at him, not exactly able to do anything since she was driving.

Mike began to break down, letting out soft sobs as he pressed his head into his hands, Nancy's heart breaking slightly as she looked at him.

"I'm so sorry, Mike. I didn't think he'd ever do something like that." She sighed, using her free hand to give Mike's shoulder a quick rub.

"It- It's not-" He tried to speak, but instead he let out a loud sob.

Nancy sighed softly as she pulled up to the Byers house, her and Mike both getting out of the car. She gently wrapped her arm around the sobbing boy and brought him over to the door, knocking on gently.

"Oh my god, Mike."

{Word Count: 1188}