Chapter 9-Palpatine

Mid-morning sunlight filtered through the sheer blue curtains over the windows, rousing Cassandra from a deep slumber. She had the strange certainty she dreamed of something important but like with most dreams the details rapidly unraveled from her mind in the waking world.

Shaking off the queer feeling, she dragged herself out of bed and into the bathroom to do her morning business. Washing her hands in the sink, she grimaced at her tangled hair and reached for a brush.

Once she put her rat's nest in order, Cassandra returned the bedroom. The automatic doors on the closet opened and she chose a cream fishermen's sweater and camel-colored leggings, tucking her feet into ivory ballet flats.

3PO had thoughtfully unpacked her belongings, putting everything away in the drawers and closet. Her books were lined up neatly on the shelves in alphabetical order, something she never bothered to do.

In the living room, Anakin sprawled on the sofa, shirtless, of course. Because the man liked to torture her with his toned muscles and shredded abs.

Cassandra took a long lingering look at his hard tanned flesh, wondering what his chest would feel like underneath her fingertips. She pinched her arm, scolding herself mentally. 'No. Anakin is my friend. True, I'm a teensy bit attracted to him but...okay there's no but. I do find him attractive.'

Cassandra shut down her musings before they ran away from her. Anakin was gorgeous, no denying it. Why wouldn't she melt when a tall hunky blond like her Jedi smiled at her? Especially, a Jedi who was the kindest and sweetest guy she'd ever met. 

Cassandra sobered. A man who had the weight of the galaxy on his broad shoulders. His prosthetic arm was propped on the arm of the sofa while he stared into space, dark circles under his eyes. 

Since they're mission on Ergamot he hadn't been sleeping well. Given the parts of his past he shared with Cassandra, she wondered which of his demons were tormenting him at night. His past as a slave or the tragic death of his mother?

Porggy was on the Jedi's lap sound asleep, plush belly up. 

Cassandra thought hard. Maybe there was something she could do to help Anakin. A small token for everything he'd given to her. Returning to her room she retrieved a vial from her magic kit.

Anakin gave a tired smile as she rounded the side of the sofa and stopped in front of him. "Good morning, Cassandra."

She opened her mouth. Closed it. Opened it again, trying to think of a way to broach the subject of his nightmares without pissing him off.

Prickliness is something they both had in common. Cassandra hated when people poked their noses in her business, well-meaning or not. She handed him the vial. "Here."

Confused, Anakin studied the shimmering blue liquid. "What's this?"

 "What's this?"