Chapter 2

Kenji led us into the locker room. There sat a girl with long and silky brunette locks, her eyes almost as dark as her hair with tiny and delicate freckles sprinkled across her face.

"Kenji! Nazeera! What took you so long?" the girl exclaimed, immediately standing up at the sight of us.

"Hey Mae, this is Aaron and Juliette," smiled Nazeera.

"Pleasure," Mae smiled at both of us.

Aaron gave a small and stiff nod, it was such a tiny gesture is could've easily went unnoticed. I smiled back at her.

"Nice to meet you, Mae," I greeted.

"Assuming Kenji already explained...should we go now?"

"Your coming?" I spluttered, immediately regretting my choice of words I added, "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that, it would be wonderful to have you but I wouldn't want to disturb you for long."

I felt my cheeks grow hot with embarrassment, but Mae just smiled.

"No, it's alright! I have to come to open up to portal to get you guys back, don't worry about it,"

Before I could open my mouth to speak Aaron cut us off.

"So we're just supposed to travel to another universe, just like that?" he demanded.

"I told you man, I got everything ready, just enjoy your vacation. I thought you wouldn't be able to find a place to relax here since everywhere you go everyone will knows you and all... it'd be nice to have a change of scenery," replied Kenji.

"I don't trust you," Aaron narrowed his eyes, his suspicion deepening when Kenji rolled his eyes.

"J trusts me, right princess?" Kenji smiled innocently.

"You could've at least given us a heads up," I said crossing my arms.

"Okay okay, I get it, not my best decision, but come on! Mae's already here, and you already agreed. You don't need to bring anything, since moving more objects across would be more likely to cause the portal to destabilize."

Behind us Nazeera cleared her throat.

Without waiting for a reply, Kenji nodded at Mae as if signaling her to start. Mae swirled her arms in the air and the weirdest sensation washed through me. I felt pressure on my lungs and momentarily I was unable to breathe, it was as if time stopped and I was seeing everything in slow motion. It didn't feel real, more like a dream. It was as if space and time had been bent to her will, I was only reminded of reality as I felt a hand closing on my waist. I didn't have to look to know it was Aaron, he jerked me closer to him protectively.

A hole opened up right in front of us, it looks like someone had punched a hole in time and space itself. On the other side of the hole was a dark alleyway, there were cigarettes and shattered glass that looked like it was chipped from beer bottles and who knows what else littered on the floor. I only knew what they were because I had done research about the world before the Reestablishment; there was little room for drugs when your struggling from starving to death. Mae gestured us to step into the portal, Kenji went first followed by Nazeera. I felt Aaron's grip on my waist tighten as we stepped into the portal together, on the corner of my eye I could've sworn I saw Aaron's other hand reach into his jacket, to where he stored his guns.

Before I even stepped out of the portal into the alleyway I felt the ground shake, actually scratch that, everything started shaking, somehow even the air around us was destabilized. I felt a force closing in me, I couldn't breathe. My sight felt hazy, I couldn't really see anything and my vision was blurred with black spots. My brain felt numb, all of my instincts were telling me to run, however I was rooted in place.